Bottle Conditioning - Cold or Room Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnDaReglah

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm about to bottle my 2nd batch and was wondering if it made a difference if the bottles were stored at room temp vs. in the refrigerator. My first batch I did at room temp and put them in the fridge a couple of hours before I was ready to drink. Can I put them straight into the fridge or is it best to wait?

Thanks

I am far from expert, however on my first batch, an american wheat ale, I brought half of the bottles upstairs, in December, and left half in the cellar. The half upstairs conditioned well and were nice and bubbly. The half which I had to leave in the cellar got too cold and did not condition well. I think that you need to condition at a temperature which your yeast likes, at least for a couple of weeks.
Bob

Carb condition your bottles near the same temp that you ferment at, cold temps makes the yeast work slow and will Take much longer to carb properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Additionally, if you swirl each bottle a week into the conditioning if should help activate the yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

To me conditioning is just another form of fermentation. You're giving the yeast more "food" to chew on by using priming sugar and thus in turn the sugars are consumed and turned into co2. Just like with a primary fermentation, the higher the temps, the more vigorous the fermentation. You could condition at colder temps, but the colder you go, the more sluggish the yeast will be and in turn the longer it's going to take for your beer to carb up.

I bottle condition my beer at room temps for about 2-3 weeks minimum. Then I just work a few in my (small) fridge at a time until the batch is gone.

Back