Quantcast

Bottle conditioning - carbed but has green apple off-flavor?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
I have a fully-carbed pale that I bottled about 1.5 months ago, & the green apple taste is pretty strong, to the point that it's almost cider-y on the end. It fermented for a full 3 weeks, had a stable FG of ~1.010 for a week, & my sample at bottling time tasted amazing, so the green apple isn't due to young beer or an infection prior to bottling. I also have a pretty anal cleaning/sanitation regimen, so I'm not thinking it was an infection during the bottling process, either.

There are 2 variables that I think may have contributed:

1. My yield was only ~4 gallons, but I used almost a full whirlfloc tablet in the BK. Could the yeast in the bottle have fallen out of suspension too quickly, carbing but not cleaning that up?

2. I ran out of corn sugar & used a small amount of granulated sugar from the pantry to make up the difference. Not sure if this would even be a factor, but it is a deviation from my norm.

I just roused the yeast in the bottles I haven't put in the fridge yet & put them in a warmer area, so I'll try another bottle in a few days. Anyone experience anything like this before? Thanks in advance for the help! :mug:

OP
Deckers_Beers

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
I've been asking around with other homebrewers I know, & no one has seen this happen before...

popsicleian

Reaction score
What temp have the bottles been sitting at during the carbonating period? I think putting them in a warmer area is probably your best bet at this point.

OP
Deckers_Beers

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
They sat around 58* for a day until I realized how cold it was there, & then put moved them into the house, so they were sitting around 65*, maybe a touch lower.

I did move them right near the heater vent & put a thermometer in there, so right now they're sitting just under 70*.

popsicleian

Reaction score
65 may have been a bit too cool for them to clean up, depending on what yeast strain you were using. Still, I would have expected them to finish that process in 1.5 months even at that temperature. Did you use gelatin or cold crash before bottling? I've only experienced long bottle conditioning times when I've done an extended cold crash or fined with gelatin.

I think rousing and moving to a warmer area is a good move, but I would wait more than a few days before you try another. Give them a couple of weeks--If they haven't cleaned up the acetaldehyde in 1.5 months, the yeast are probably pretty sleepy.

OP
Deckers_Beers

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
65 may have been a bit too cool for them to clean up, depending on what yeast strain you were using. Still, I would have expected them to finish that process in 1.5 months even at that temperature. Did you use gelatin or cold crash before bottling? I've only experienced long bottle conditioning times when I've done an extended cold crash or fined with gelatin.
I used Safale-05, but no cold crash or gelatin before bottling, just the whirfloc in the BK.

I used more than a half tab of whirfloc in ~4 gallons, so I did consider that maybe too much of the yeast fell out before bottling... But then they wouldn't be fully carbed, right?

popsicleian

Reaction score
The Whirlfloc doesn't have any impact on the yeast--assuming you used it during the boil it just encourages proteins in the wort to settle out.

OP
Deckers_Beers

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
The Whirlfloc doesn't have any impact on the yeast--assuming you used it during the boil it just encourages proteins in the wort to settle out.
Ah, didn't know that! I thought it clumped up anything that would be in the wort, proteins, trub, & yeast alike.

joegbeer

Reaction score
Green apple taste generally implies that either not enough yeast was pitched, or the yeast was not healthy.

The other factor could be taking the beer in primary off the yeast before giving it time to cleanup. Given 3 weeks in primary and a stable final gravity for a week, I don't think this is the situation here.

Fermentation temperature not bottle carbing temperature could be another variable.

OP
Deckers_Beers

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
Green apple taste generally implies that either not enough yeast was pitched, or the yeast was not healthy.

The other factor could be taking the beer in primary off the yeast before giving it time to cleanup. Given 3 weeks in primary and a stable final gravity for a week, I don't think this is the situation here.

Fermentation temperature not bottle carbing temperature could be another variable.
The ferm temp was around 66*, then raised to 70* for the last week. I also used an entire dry yeast packet, & re-hydrated, so I don't think the pitch was unhealthy.

Although when I pitched on brewday, wort was closer to 58*-60* (cold day), & I had to raise the temp with my carboy heater. Since I had a healthy fermentation & it was tasting great throughout, I didn't think this had affected anything. Maybe it did???