Bottle conditioning and fridge time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivaguk

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a little confused.

4 weeks ago I bottled a batch of coopers ale. I left it in the fermenter for 3 weeks then bottled. The bottles were in a cupboard which was between 70F and 72F.

I used 2 of the coopers carbonation drops per bottle to get a decent carbonation. I have read allot about fridge time and chill haze the get the CO2 into the solution, so last week i put a few bottles in the fridge for 1 week cracked them open last night and there wasn't much carbonation or head retention so i cracked a couple of the bottles that were sitting at room temperature and they had a lot of carbonation and a longer lasting head retention.

My question is: Is this normal or does it sound strange that the beers at room temperature are better the the beers that have been in the fridge.

Thanks all. :tank:

Coopers recommends 2 drops if using 22 oz bottles. What size bottles did you use? Everything else looks right to me but then again I'm a noob.

Sounds like they were not quite carb'ed yet. An extra week at room temperature may have increased the carb levels on your warm beers. One week makes a heck of a difference. And it usually takes at least 3 weeks at room temp to carb, sometimes longer.

The cold ones won't carb any further when you put them in the fridge.

i am using the PET bottles that came with the kit which are 22oz

3 weeks when at 70 for 12 ounces is the minimum for most average grav beer, put it into a 22 add another 2 weeks or so to the wait time. Bigger bottles just take longer, and you almost have twice as much beer in there.

The Cooper's bottles are not 22. They're 740ml,or 25.16oz. They should be good & solid at 4 weeks. But you have to get those screw on caps mind numbingly tight. I mean so damn tight your fingers hurt. Because if you don't they'll leak co2 out of the head space. This could also be your problem. Been there with the 45 PET bottles I have.

I screwed the caps on untill I got to the point where my skins was coming off so that shouldn't be a problem

I remember the first time using the PET bottles. I'd shaken them a bit after dumping in t he 2 carb drops per bottle,then going back & filling. I finished all 30 bottles,went back to check the caps,& still tightened them another half turn. You might need more than 4 weeks room temp time with yours. Each batch being a little different can make things take longer or shorter time.

Back