Bottle conditioned cider didn't carbonate enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
I bottled some cider about a month ago, and added cane sugar according to this calculator. I aimed for 2.5 vols, but its just not carbed very much. It has been sitting in my closet at ~65ºF for a month, and I even agitated the cider after a week to keep the yeast in suspension. It has some bubbles, but its pretty flat. What can I do to salvage this?

You can have more patience. High gravity things take longer. Especially if they're below 70 degrees. Check back in another month or so....You added sugar, it will carb on it's own time. Carbonation is pretty foolproof, it just is a matter of time.

I didn't add any sugar for fermentation, I think it was 1.049 or something close, so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe i should put the case near a heater vent to keep it a little warmer...? I know it doesn't need to be hot, but my closet is a little cooler than the rest of the house.

I haven't carbonated anything in a while (i've been focusing on wines for a few years), and I don't recall anything taking this long before. Oh well. Theres plenty of other stuff to drink meanwhile :D

For whatever reason cider takes a while to carbonate in the bottle. The good news is that cider generally gets much, much better with age, mine finally hit its stride after 8 months in the bottle. I say leave it in that closet for a few more months.

Back