(bottle conditioned)Bottling with a beer gun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
I was thinking to myself the other day that I could add priming sugar to a keg, siphon beer into keg, and then using CO2, gently push the beer into bottles with my Blichmann beer gun. Am I missing any reason why this wouldn't work? It just seems easier than a bottling wand (that I'd have to go buy. I've been kegging beer for so long), especially with the trigger built in.

I see no issue with it.

Does the beer gun use counter pressure to keep foaming to a minimum?

With the situation outlined, the beer isn't carbonated, so it wouldn't be foaming.

However, even when the beer is carbonated, you turn the pressure low - to about 2-3 psi, and foaming shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, I see. I have had similar thoughts about this idea before. It would speed up bottling and I wouldn't have to have my carboy on a bucket on my counter for siphon puropses

Oh, I see. I have had similar thoughts about this idea before. It would speed up bottling and I wouldn't have to have my carboy on a bucket on my counter for siphon puropses

Plus the added benefit of being able to purge everything with CO2 and having an almost completely closed transfer to the bottles.

im curious as to why you think this would be easier than a bottling wand. its the exact same process except your using a much more expensive piece of equipment and CO2.

im curious as to why you think this would be easier than a bottling wand. its the exact same process except your using a much more expensive piece of equipment and CO2.

Well, I already have the equipment to do so, and the lead on the beer gun is longer. Additionally, I wouldn't have to worry about gravity and the CO2 use is really negligible.

Plus the added benefit of being able to purge everything with CO2 and having an almost completely closed transfer to the bottles.

This would be the biggest benefit, in my opinion. If you could transfer to the keg from the fermenter via co2 pressure, and then bottle under co2, and purge the bottles via the beergun, you'd almost eliminate risks of oxidation.

Back