Bottle conditioned beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shirley

Reaction score
I bottled 5 gals of American Amber Ale two weeks ago.I Opened a bottle today and had very little carbonation.I used 3/4 cups corn sugar in 1 cup of water.I also mixed the sugar solution with a spoon.Kept the beer between 65 and 74 degrees.Do i have a problem.All my other beers where ready in two weeks.

Shirley

just wait longer, i dont remeber and im too lazy to check now but its possible that 3/4cup of corn sugar is adequate amount for 5gal so just wait another week or 2, if it carbonated a little now it means yeast are working but need more time or you didnt put enought sugar

+1,000,000.....two weeks is the minimum it would take to carbonate a very low ABV beer at a constant 70F. Considering your variables, this one will take 3-5 weeks from bottling to carb and condition, even more if it's a high ABV beer. BE PATIENT!!

If you can spare wasting a bottles worth of brew, bottle one in a plastic 20 oz soda bottle. You should be able to better judge when your batch is carbed up because the plastic bottle becomes firm. I think this is a great method because you aren't opening glass bottles to "check". If the plastic isn't ready, the glass isn't either.

You could swirl the bottles a little to get the yeast back into suspension. I've done this when I was really impatient and felt like I had to do SOMETHING. Also, you could put the bottles near a heat vent or radiator to warm them up.

I had a problem with carbonation when i first started brewing but it wasnt from lack of patience. I put my carbing sugar on top of my already racked beer instead of racking on top of it. 10% of the bottles were nice and bubbly but the rest were flat as tap water. Lesson learned.

Be patient Grasshopper! It can easily take 6 weeks to carb up! Odds are, the beer tastes green anyway, so give it some time to mellow while you go out and get a "mixer sixer" at the store and try to compare flavor profiles, aromas, carbonation levels, etc. Yeah, it's a good excuse to drink beer!!! Good luck!

Back