Bottle Condition ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyice1

Reaction score
I have an 11% ABV slightly complex brown ale that is in the primary .. a friend of mine has stated that I must bottle condition this beer.

what do you guys think? if I must bottle condition, any tips on what I should do to make sure it turns out nice?

I love kegging btw, I would much rather go this route but I want what is best for the beer of course.

What @flars said. Your friend is probably inferring that the beer should age, which can happen in a keg (or just taco it to a sanitized carboy and let it sit there for a few months).

what is the best technique for aging in the keg? rack been in, purge oxygen out with co2, then take it off the gas for a month? or does it need to stay on the gas?

also, can we let it age in a closet or does it need to stay in the fridge?

what is the best technique for aging in the keg? rack been in, purge oxygen out with co2, then take it off the gas for a month? or does it need to stay on the gas?

also, can we let it age in a closet or does it need to stay in the fridge?

it will age faster at room temps. This can be either to your advantage or potentially bad for something like an IPA

You need to have it well purged or it will experience some degree of oxidation

I like to keep my kegs at ~32psi at room temp while I wait for a tap to open up. Keeping them on the gas will start to carb them up so it doesnt take as long when you chill temp down and set to serving pressure.

Purge the air from the keg and maintain enough CO2 pressure to keep the keg sealed. Room temperature will shorten conditioning time. A heated chamber at 70° to 75°F would be ideal.

Back