Bottle color for apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I know beer is suppose to be stored in darker bottles, but what about apfelwein. I thought I read somewhere that it was the hops in the beer that reacted with the light, but I cant remember.

Just wondering, because I bottle my cider yesterday, and some of the bottles were donated by my sister, and were clear. I think they were strongbow cider bottles, and a few landshark bottles.

The apfelwein looks really tastey looking in the clear bottles.

You are correct, it is the UV rays that react with the hop oils in beer to make it skunky. Unless you put hops in your Apfelwein you should be fine in clear bottles. I bottle my Apfelwein in clear bottles and I purposely save clear bottles just for Apfelwein.

Wines and ciders don't skunk, but they can get light struck. That's one reason red wine comes in dark bottles- to protect it from light. Wine white usually comes in clear bottles, except for chardonnay because it's drunk pretty quickly. Even so, light can cause some off flavors in cider.

Store the clear bottles in a dark place like a pantry or cellar, and you'll be fine.

I have them In the basement, but in a room with a window. They are in crates with a blanket over them, so Im sure they are fine.

The clear bottles do make the cider look really good. I dont think they are going to last long enough to go bad.

Back