Bottle colonies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairyDogBrewing

Reaction score
Any idea where I went wrong with sanitation?
I haven't seen it before or since.
I use Oxiclean and StarSan.
The yeast was WLP007 slurry from the prior batch.
I don't think I washed it, just scooped from the fermenter.

The beer tastes fine, but it's a little more carbonated.

BottleColonies.JPG

Unfortunately I can't help with what it is, but I had a similar problem a few years back:

nxubdz.jpg

IIRC, it was a Belgian Tripel so the carbonation was higher than normal anyway, so I didn't notice any differences. You are right, whatever it is, the beer tasted fine, although it was a bit disturbing to drink. :drunk:

It's really hard to tell where you might have picked it up. It may have been picked up during the transfer of the yeast slurry?

Happened to me once, and I never figured out why.

I also have a hairy golden retriever, so maybe that's the link!

It was every bottle in the case, so I'm guessing it was infected prior to bottling.
I suppose it could be anything between the kettle and the bottle.
I bottled a case from the corny with a BMBF.

What sort of things can live in there?

Does anyone else want to play "Name that infection?"

I popped another one of these and got the SG:
It's 1.010, and it was 1.012 when I kegged it on 3/7.

Also, there's a note that I added hop tea to the secondary.
I steeped 0.5 ounce of Fuggle for 30 minutes at 160F.
That should have been enough to pasteurize, right?

I have some bottles that have like a white powdery film on the inside after it dries out. It has not affected any of the beer, it all tastes fine. I have so far been unsuccessful in determining what caused it, but I have stepped up my bottle sanitation regime. Any bottles that have the hazy white film in them get a hot oxyclean soak, brushed out, then starsan with the vinator right before (20 mins or so) filling. I toss the caps in the starsan.

Your white film is probably Oxiclean residue.
If so, it can be removed by soaking in StarSan or white vinegar.

No, thought of that. It only grows up to the level of the bottled beer... I wish I could take a picture, but they never come out. Phone cam == suck.

I rinse very well, 3 or 4 times with hot water. They dry crystal clear. White haze only appears in some bottles, in osme batches, after beer is bottle conditioned, drank, rinsed, then dried.

No, thought of that. It only grows up to the level of the bottled beer... I wish I could take a picture, but they never come out. Phone cam == suck.

I rinse very well, 3 or 4 times with hot water. They dry crystal clear. White haze only appears in some bottles, in osme batches, after beer is bottle conditioned, drank, rinsed, then dried.

I've found that really hoppy beers will leave a residue around the neck of the bottle. I don't recall the color, but it's obviously visible from the outside.

Here is a crummy picture of what I'm talking about:

2a69ysz.jpg

Unfortunately I can't help with what it is, but I had a similar problem a few years back:

nxubdz.jpg

IIRC, it was a Belgian Tripel so the carbonation was higher than normal anyway, so I didn't notice any differences. You are right, whatever it is, the beer tasted fine, although it was a bit disturbing to drink. :drunk:

It's really hard to tell where you might have picked it up. It may have been picked up during the transfer of the yeast slurry?

I had the same results years ago on my first attempt at homebrewing and created my first Do It Yourself Lava Lamp. I took sanitation cleaning too lightly.
After working on a major remodel and rebuilding of a yeast production line for Fleischmann's Yeast Company and Manufacturing they would at times have a wild strain of yeast get started on their damp canvas drums. this started a instant mass shutdown with a total sterilization process in that sealed off room ASAP. I was told they can have up to 37 wild out of control strains started in just their baking yeast department alone. It can happen to the big companies also not us little homebrewers. Best of luck on a restart after your total cleanup process, you'll win the next round.

Does anyone else want to play "Name that infection?"

I popped another one of these and got the SG:
It's 1.010, and it was 1.012 when I kegged it on 3/7.

Also, there's a note that I added hop tea to the secondary.
I steeped 0.5 ounce of Fuggle for 30 minutes at 160F.
That should have been enough to pasteurize, right?

It is my belief that only a good boil will kill all the little buggies.

Try the SAME recipe again and see if you get similar results. Then do another but with a hop tea that is cooked hotter and for the 30 minutes. and see if the growth is still there.

You said it tasted okay, and no one was killed, screw it, drink it and ignore it.

The batch before and the batch after were almost exactly the same recipe.
This one had Fuggle tea, the others used Kent Golding and Whitbread Golding tea.

I don't think hop tea is the problem, just for information.

I've found that really hoppy beers will leave a residue around the neck of the bottle. I don't recall the color, but it's obviously visible from the outside.

Here is a crummy picture of what I'm talking about:

2a69ysz.jpg

Yes, that looks similar to what I have. Only problem, this happened first to my AHS Fat Tire clone. It has also happened to a tripel. Has also happened in very highly hopped beers, so I don't think its a hop thing. It also does not happen to every bottle in the batch, which makes me think its a problem with my bottle sanitation and not my brew process.

Anyone else have this happen?

Back