Bottle Cleaning / Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkwerksAddict

Reaction score
I'm just trying to clear up a couple of gray-areas when it comes to bottle cleaning; hopefully you guys can help me out. I've been using oxi-clean for label removal of commercial bottles and was wondering if that is a good cleaner to use for cleaning out the insides of the bottles? If so, what is a good dilution rate? (I've been using one scoop of oxi-clean per 5 gallons of water to remove labels, but that seems strong for cleaning out the inside of bottles.)

Also, I've recently come in to possession of a couple dozen Grolsch-style (ez-cap) bottles and I'm unsure of how to clean them without ruining the seal/metal parts/ceramic cap. I've read that its best to take off the rubber gasket - in fact I'll probably replace all the gaskets just to be on the safe side (since I have no clue about the bottles' history or age), but what about the wire assembly and ceramic part? Do you guys usually remove those parts or just toss em in with the bottle? Is oxi-clean corrosive to metal/ceramic?

Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!!

I'd replace the gaskets, but after that nothing special compared to a regular bottle. I don't remove the gaskets when cleaning or sanitizing and haven't had a problem yet. Just get star San on everything for a bit and good to go.

Back