bottle cider with no carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fipilix

Reaction score
so i have been making hard cider for a couple years now. i have always used a keg with force carbonation. i just got a new wine corker. i am wondering how non carbonated hard cider would fair in a wine bottle. i have a batch of mead fermenting right now which is why i got the corker but i dont want to wait. i have a batch of cider ready now so any thoughts on this?

Make sure to kill off the yeast first so it doesn't bottle carb/bomb.
Non carbed in a wine bottle works just fine.
Some people preffer still ciders,let your tastebuds be your guide.

If the cider finished dry (FG 1.000 or lower), yeah, you can bottle in wine bottles, no problem. If it finished sweet (FG above 1.000) I'd add some Campden (1 tablet or 1/4 tsp. per gallon), wait a few more days, then bottle.

Thunder_Chicken said:
If the cider finished dry (FG 1.000 or lower), yeah, you can bottle in wine bottles, no problem. If it finished sweet (FG above 1.000) I'd add some Campden (1 tablet or 1/4 tsp. per gallon), wait a few more days, then bottle.
I know this isn't my thread but do you add campden to the carboy/bucket, stir then wait the 3 days?

Yes, you can dissolve the campden tablets in some warm water, put them in a clean secondary, and rack the cider on to them. The campden will protect against oxidation, but you still just want to stir gently without splashing. You can bottle after a few days.

Back