bottle carbo.question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
What's the proper(suggested) sugar/cider ratio to get a batch rolling once bottled ? I've a 3 gallon batch done off of a "New England"cider recipe that's ready in the primary(3 gal.) , a case of champagne bottles and a bag of priming sugar ready to go.....
Only problem is that I don't have champ.corks or the wire bales(cages).I do have #8 corks and a spool of copper wire-8's fit tighter than 7's and I can "fab-up" some cork cages(retainers). Lemme know. Thanks in advance. Shane

If I didn't have champagne corks and bales, and a champagne corker, I'd use beer bottles instead. Regular corks are not meant to hold pressure and will blow if any pressure builds up.

Hey Yooper...Been awhile. I didn't even consider that(beer-beer,wine-wine etc...)I've got almost a case of 20oz. Franziskaner bottles cleaned and awaiting a "worthy batch" they just need to be sanitized. Thanks again.
What do you think about the priming sugar ?

Well, if it's done fermenting completely, then I guess you'd prime like as for beer, around 5 ounces dextrose for 5 gallons of cider.

20 ounce bottles for the cider sounds just about right, too. Sounds great!

Sorry, kind of off topic here, but how long does carbing last? If I wanted to split my 5 gallon batch(half still, half carb) and bottle age for a few years, will it still be carbed after that lengthy amount of time?

Pyro said:
Sorry, kind of off topic here, but how long does carbing last? If I wanted to split my 5 gallon batch(half still, half carb) and bottle age for a few years, will it still be carbed after that lengthy amount of time?

Well, if it's capped securely, it'd still be carbonated. The co2 can't go anywhere if it's in a completely sealed container.

Well,It's primed and bottled . So now what ? just kidding,I've a six gallon batch to bottle next-depending on how this bottle carb thing has worked-I may do it again.....Batch was at 1.0000 on the hydro,I hope it carbs ok. The flavor of this stuff will blow your hair back,make you stand up and slap your mama(pretty damn tasty...) I think my best batch thus far.ABV per my vino-meter is 13% WOO-BABY !
Now that it's bottled , What temp.should I start the carbo.And at what temps.should I store this stuff ? I really don't wanna loose any of this stuff to bombs. Yoop-Any tips at this point ? Thanks again. Shane

p.s. Now that the bottling is done,I've figured-beer bottles are better for this stuff anyhoo as it can be better enjoyed in smaller quantities.

Back