Bottle carbing cyser fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilot

Reaction score
I have a cyser that I am hoping to bottle carb. A week ago, I put the desired amount of sugar (3 Cooper's drops) in a 32 oz swingtop bottle (as a test, the remainder remains in the carboy) and it has been sitting by my woodstove for a week. No "psst" when I cracked the top today, which was a disappointment.

The yeast was K1V-1116, and the ABV is 9.5%. I used my usual processes, but where I think I messed up was that I added campden at the second racking. IIRC, I racked it again one more time before bottling, and didn't add any more campden. I suspect I stunned the snot out of the yeast with that. Oh, and I also sweetened with Erythritol, which I don't think should have any effect on this.

Where to go from here? Forget carbing this one? Pitch some yeast into it? Wait longer? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Campden from what i have read kind of stuns the yeast allowing for your pitched yeast after 24 hours to take over. In essence its effect disipates over time.

I wonder if your swing top bottle didnt have a small seal leak. AND OR if you clarified too well you may have not had enoigh or any viable yeast left to do the job.

Try it again dropping a small amount of new yeast in and using a soda bottle as a control. You csn check how its coming along by squeezing it once in a while. When it feels like a fresh unopened soda your carbonated.

Day 10, popped the lid, and got a satisfying pssst. It has begun ...

Latest posts

Back