Bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcgill

Reaction score
Any need to sterilize bottle caps before bottleing? Should I dip them in star san or just cap and go.
First batch ready to bottle. I am super excited!

I let them sit in a container filled with Starsan until I pull them out to put them on the bottles.

+1 This is what I do too.

Probably the easiest method, though I've also heard of people boiling their caps prior to bottling. I'd stick with the star san method though.

i use a spray bottle of star san and just mist the bottom of the cap before capping. i've noticed letting the caps sit in star san for a long period of time can cause rust on them, which is something i dont mind, but friends sometimes notice.

I just drop them in the Starsan right before I start filling/capping. Once finished I empty the Starsan and lay the caps out to dry. I've NEVER had any issues with rust this way.

I have stored the caps in Starsan in between batches though. I found out that's a great way to get your caps to rust. :D

I just drop them in the Starsan right before I start filling/capping. Once finished I empty the Starsan and lay the caps out to dry. I've NEVER had any issues with rust this way.

I have stored the caps in Starsan in between batches though. I found out that's a great way to get your caps to rust. :D

Yeah, I was gonna say, how long were you leaving those caps in there!? :D As long as you pop them in a couple minutes before bottling, then dry off any that you don't use, they won't rust.

In previous threads about this,the O2 barrier caps came under concern. It may well be that soaking those type of caps may activate the O2 absorber too soon before actual use. So I now dip them a couple times real quick right before placing on the bottles. I get 8-12 bottles filled this way,then take the capper to them. The Beers have tasted fine,& carb levels have been good till my last 2 batches. But they were conditioned in winter,& the room was rather cool to cold. I've since started conditioning in the upstairs bedroom which is the warmest room in the house.
I've even been thinking of inverting each bottle after capping,right before placing in there boxes for carb/conditioning time. Just a little added insurance that the O2 absorber activates. Regular caps won't have this particular concern so much as being properly crimped squarely in place to creat the optimum seal against the lip of the bottle.

Back