Bottle Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LELAND2008

Reaction score
I have a old bottle capper from my Grandfather, I am not sure how old it is or where it was made. It has K & M on the side, would anybody have any info on this?

Thanks

Post pictures?

Also, if it was build in the age of your grandfather, I'm sure that thing is built to last.

I am work now but will try and post a picture later.
I am sure it was built back then, the only thing I remember him making was wine. I thing he was done with the capper.
For all I know he my have brought it with him from Italy.

I am work now but will try and post a picture later.
I am sure it was built back then, the only thing I remember him making was wine. I thing he was done with the capper.
For all I know he my have brought it with him from Italy.

Old Italian bench cappers are worth a fair bit of money iirc.

4559-k-n.jpg

I would soak it in a CLR solution for an hour or so, and then buff that guy out. He's real pretty underneath!

Not sure what I am going to do with it, It was my grandfathers so I may keep but I have had it for many years now and it just sits in the workshop.

See if you can't commission a fabricator to make an arm for it, clean it up, and make a 30's art deco brewstation!

Is that the arm laying in front of it in the pic? I'd clean it up,& place it with my collection of bottles & steins in the ol' man cave!

Dang polarized glasses! My clear glasses broke into too many pieces to fix. These make it a bit harder to see clearly,plus they're smaller lenses in Italian "frameless" frames from Yves Saint Laurent. But all I'm drinking is water from a frozen bottle at the moment.

Dang polarized glasses! My clear glasses broke into too many pieces to fix. These make it a bit harder to see clearly,plus they're smaller lenses in Italian "frameless" frames from Yves Saint Laurent. But all I'm drinking is water from a frozen bottle at the moment.

Sounds hip. Who cares about sight when you look fly?

I would love to find out anything I could about it. I have been searching on the computer but can't find anything for K&N. Who knows maybe I cant because it is that rare.

I would love to find out anything I could about it. I have been searching on the computer but can't find anything for K&N. Who knows maybe I cant because it is that rare.

Are there any other markings or etchings on the capper?

Have you looked for antique or collectables sites? Just another thought. See if they list brewing equipment,or the like.

That is one stout looking capper. No wonder it lasted so long. I think you should def try collector's sites to see if they'd have more info.?...

Doubtful it's rare. You can usually pick up antique bench cappers for 20 bucks on ebay. And the fact that the only markings are K & N probably means little as well. During prohibition everyone and their mother were more than likely making them. That could simply be a foundry marking, anyplace that was working with metal could just as easily been making them and selling them out the back door, as coming from any "homebrewing" company.

Well, maybe it is rare, but a little rarer now. I happen to have one as well. K&N clearly stamped on the side. No date. No other markings. It's been in the family for years as well, and probably close to 100 years old. My grandfather used it to bottle beer and root beer in their East Chicago, IN cellar (you know, the kind with little to no lighting and a dirt floor. This was back in the late 30s and early 40s.

Leland, did you ever find out more about this capper? Like yours, mine is also without the handle.

Here are some pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozadnrb07nugn2b/AACy11Mfi1ye0JAbxha3f1qya?dl=0

Andy

Back