Bottle Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustysocket

Reaction score
What should I look for in a good bottle capper? I see a few different ones out there. Are they all basically the same or is one better?

IMHO if you think you are going to be capping for a while invest in a bench top caper. I think Yuri has a DIY post on how to make your own.

Once the "new hobby novelty" factor wears off I can see brewing about one 5gal batch every three months or so.

Right now I'm pretty gung ho but I know how I am. Not looking to get the best.... just something that is not junk and will work when I need it to.

Thats basically what my needs are.

Regular wing capper should work fine. Some thin bottles don't work I've heard. But I've bottled 30+ batches with mine and never had one break or not-seal.

I am going to invest in a bench mount bottle capper made by Agata... The main reason for this is the magnet on the bottom of the capper... you simply put the cap under the magnet and boom your done in no time! they sell on ebay anywhere from 15-45.00 depending on how high they get bid up to

are all wing cappers the same?

No, they are not.

Several years ago I posted pictures of my capper, the Red Baron, in a thread discussing breaking bottles during capping.

Basically, there are 3 wing cappers. One is black and two are red.

Check the metal (neck) clamping plates. Some will have an arc cut on one side and flat on the other. This includes the black one and some of the red ones.

Mine has 2 sets of arcs cut into the plate and are removable/reversable.

These are useable on different bottle neck sizes.

If you are breaking bottle necks then you are probably using the smaller sized arcs on the larger necks and crushing it (the neck) as you press down to crimp the cap.

Back