bottle brushes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I'm having to use a heavy duty bottle brush to remove scale from some of my bottles. I there any concern with scratching the glass with the wire part of the bottle brush?

You gotta try REALLY hard to scratch glass, and I don't think your bottle brush is up to such a task, even with the wire, which is likely smooth. You'll be fine.

I think it is hard to leave no scratch when there is scale stuck on bottle. So please clean your bottle frequently. Bottle brush with sponge can do the regular cleansing. If you need to scratch something off your bottle, maybe you need some other scrubbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you clean them right after you empty them, you should have no residue to scrape out

It would be difficult to scratch glass but you can slip some small diameter tubing over the wire of the brush to prevent any possibles scratches.

I use a drilled stopper on my carboy brush for the same reason.

This is an 8 year old thread, but what the heck. If in doubt, grab a spare bottle and try to scratch it. You may be suprised how difficult it is. That's why glass cutters are made of diamond or hard tool steel.

I wish clicking on a topic title would go to the first post and the little eyeball or whatever would take a person to the last read post in the thread. :(

I'm not use to the thread date yet below the title.

Back