Bottle boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikslen

New brew foo
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we all deal with the fact that the cardboard boxes our bottles come in fall apart sooner than the bottles that come in them. Is there a stackable, durable, presumably plastic or wooden, product for holding bottles while keeping them from hitting each other? Or what is your hack?? (Milk crates would be good if there were dividers tailored to the size and shape of the crates.)

All my bottles are in the cardboard boxes they came in. A few were bought for the first brew in 2011 and the rest collected over the years since. Only one of the boxes have any dividers in them. I looked at wooden crates for them but at $7 - $10 a case it adds up to way too costly for me. I would need about 25 crates.... I have about 300 bottles and that is after I recycled about half of what I had.

I've had some of mine in milk crates like you buy at the office supply stores. They're not a perfect fit and you have to make some dividers but, they are taller than the average 12 ounce bottle and are securely stackable. Easier to handle than cardboard boxes and offer a little more safety as you don't have to worry about the bottom falling out.

I've gone to mostly Cooper's plastic bottles now and haven't tried them in a milk crate, yet, as those boxes are still sound.

All the Best,
D. White

Yeah, I do the crates but I use 500ml Grolsch or similar. They jiggle but only slightly so not perfect. Very stack-able though.

It's easy enough to find compartmented containers but maybe not stack-able.

I was given some folding plastic crates that perfectly fit twenty-four 12oz bottles. I used to use them for returnables before I started homebrewing. I'll have to see if there's a company name on them or if they can be purchased anywhere.

Coffee beans come in extra sturdy boxes. They're not something they want splitting, and leaving a trail of product. The 20# boxes from a certain national chain are 13" tall. Other stores get them in different sizes. Make your own dividers out of other boxes. For extra strength, I stick the bottom flaps together with regular old white glue.

About half of my bottles are in beer cases (from a sushi restaurant) and about half in the boxes from cases of paper (from work). I write on the outside of the box how many of what size is in the box.

You can typically get these at Walmart or Target for $3 - $4 each. Turn them upside down and you have a bottle drying rack as well.
A-75874569

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 33
Wine boxes are the good idea for the 22oz, the 16oz fliptops, 500ml fliptops, and even the chinese 750ml fliptops. They typically have dividers also. And you can just take those dividers and cut them up to make your own dividers for the 12oz 12 and 24 bottle boxes.
I like the plastic milk crates but not as much as I thought I would.

I have a bunch of 375ml Aussie stubbies (Bundaberg ginger beer), which don't fit well into anything except the cardboard boxes they came in. I wanted something more durable, and since I have a wood shop and lots of 1/2" plywood, made several of these.

BottleBox1.jpg

BottleBox2.jpg

Back