Bottle Bombs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:drunk:

OK, I know that I am a lil off beat, but I have decided to try to create a bottle bomb, only so I can see what happens !

here is what I did ( only to help others avoid it )

LOL " I am not a profesional but still don't try this at home" LOL

I took a sample from my secondary with a gravity of 1.020 primed with
1/8 tsp of corn sugar an 1ml of warm water loaded it in to a 12oz USED,
sterlized bottle and capped it,

set it in a larger container that has a lid and set it up and away from
anything that it can harm

if any one has indirectly done this please tell me what happened

AND, If there is anyone out there that has done this to "see what happens"

lets compare notes !! LOL April 1st is comming up soon !!!

thanks

What if it never explodes, and you forget about it until 3 months later when you pull it out of the container..... THEN it explodes?

I suppose you could replicate it without the wait by using any of the methods all over the internet (ie foil+echant,dry ice, etc). It might also help to learn how to hold things without your thumbs as well.

If you were trying to make a bottle bomb, why didn't you just use a ton of corn sugar instead of a tiny scoop?

3/4 cup = 36 teaspoons.

distributed over 54 bottles that's 2/3 tsp corn sugar per bottle.

looks like you underprimed.

Either the glass fails or the caps pop off. I'd had more glass fail that caps popping though. By the way, trying to save a case of overprimed 22oz bottles, some of which already having become bottle bombs, was the scariest brewing related activity i've ever done.

I will try a larger one later right now I want to mimic what could happen with an over eager person

later in the week I am going to go and start a new batch and try again with a little
more sugar and a higher gravity (some where in the 1.030 range )

but I think I will store that one outside

Making a bottle bomb just to see what will happen is along the lines of shooting yourself just to see what will happen. Bottle bombs are not funny. Like mrkristofo said, the glass fails more often than the cap coming off. In fact, although I've only seen a few bottle bombs go off, I've never seen the cap come off. In all cases, it blew glass shards all around. In one case, the thing went off in someone's hands. Bottle bombs are aptly named.

TL

First off, keep that thing in a container with a couple of large stones. If the bottle bomb doesn't explode, you can "detonate" it with a good hard shake against the stones.

Secondly, we should have a pool as to what day and what time the thing will explode.

I think after all the warnings I my just go and stop this !!

a bottle explosion really is not fun

I was expecting more of the cap comming off

and it turning in to a small fountian !

!

I think with that amount of sugar, it should be just about right. Open, and enjoy!

As a lad of 18 and a college freshman, several years ago, I decided I wanted to make beer, so that I could get around that whole pesky "drinking age" obstacle, the bane of my social life. I set myself up with some crude equipment and was soon an extract brewer, boiling concentrated wort on a hot plate in my dorm room and sprinkling water from a friend's bong in the hallway to mask the smell.

Sadly, the brilliant mind that hatched this scheme came fully equipped, right from the factory, with a really big mouth. So it wasn't long before The Authorities were onto me. To provide myself with a plausible story in case someone spotted me swigging from one of my bottles, I started brewing homemade soda pop as well.

One fine day, I opened my dorm-room closet and discovered that I had overprimed my soda. It was in two bottles -- a Little Kings Cream Ale glass bottle and a 2-liter soda bottle. The soda bottle had grown about three inches and developed a rather large tummy. It looked like it was ready to burst.

First, I got the Little Kings bottle out very gingerly and dropped it out the dorm-room window onto the rooftop outside. I wanted nothing to do with exploding glass.

But then I got to looking at that 2-liter bottle. And thinking the kind of thoughts that get a fellow into trouble.

I took the bottle and dashed up the stairs to the top of the four-story dorm, into the bathroom and over to the window, which I opened. There, below me, was a broad courtyard of cement. To my left was the entry to the dorm cafeteria; across the courtyard from me was Spiller Hall, a girls' dorm.

No one was coming. So I hurled the bottle at the ground as hard as I could.

Boing -- boing -- boing-boingboing. The bottle bounced like a soccer ball. Most unsatisfying. I raced down the stairs, retrieved it and tried again.

Boing -- boing -- boing-boingboing. OK, I thought. One more try and I'll REALLY throw it HARD this time.

I fetched it back upstairs. I hauled off. I sent that bottle hurtling at the ground so hard I imagined it would chip the concrete.

Now, keep in mind, this was 1986, and almost all 2-liter bottles were capped with aluminum caps. The one I had just thrown at the ground was one of the early exceptions, and it was closed with one of the now-familiar plastic kind of cap. And on this throw, the bottle landed cap down. Upon striking the ground, the cap shattered , the bottle's contents surged out, and the bottle took flight.

It rose majestically about 10 feet into the air and headed straight for Spiller Hall. Horrified, I watched as it screamed at the dorm like a Sidewinder locked onto a MiG, then at the last second hung a hard right and "buzzed" past three dorm-room windows on the second floor before dropping, spent, into a laurel bush. The entire courtyard was filled with the stench of overly yeasty ginger ale. And I do mean "stench."

In the middle window, I saw a girl reaching for the window latch -- presumably to open the window and ask me what the hell I was doing. Just as she reached for the window latch, my bottle blasted past her window, generously anointing it with yeasty, sour, rank ginger ale. She opened her window, looking rather like someone who's just been shot at and missed, and informed me wrathfully that I was extremely lucky she hadn't opened the window a second sooner. Stunned and rather expecting to be arrested at any moment, I agreed.

Well ... that's my only bottle bomb story. I can't really recommend this to anybody, but it was a helluva sight ...

Omg Roflmfao

I've seen pics of bottle bombs that blew with so much force that the plastic tub they were sitting in shattered as well. Then closer inspection shows shards of glass sticking out of the woodwork. Serious stuff. be careful

Finn said:
As a lad of 18 and a college freshman, several years ago, I decided I wanted to make beer, so that I could get around that whole pesky "drinking age" obstacle, the bane of my social life. I set myself up with some crude equipment and was soon an extract brewer, boiling concentrated wort on a hot plate in my dorm room and sprinkling water from a friend's bong in the hallway to mask the smell.

Sadly, the brilliant mind that hatched this scheme came fully equipped, right from the factory, with a really big mouth. So it wasn't long before The Authorities were onto me. To provide myself with a plausible story in case someone spotted me swigging from one of my bottles, I started brewing homemade soda pop as well.

One fine day, I opened my dorm-room closet and discovered that I had overprimed my soda. It was in two bottles -- a Little Kings Cream Ale glass bottle and a 2-liter soda bottle. The soda bottle had grown about three inches and developed a rather large tummy. It looked like it was ready to burst.

First, I got the Little Kings bottle out very gingerly and dropped it out the dorm-room window onto the rooftop outside. I wanted nothing to do with exploding glass.

But then I got to looking at that 2-liter bottle. And thinking the kind of thoughts that get a fellow into trouble.

I took the bottle and dashed up the stairs to the top of the four-story dorm, into the bathroom and over to the window, which I opened. There, below me, was a broad courtyard of cement. To my left was the entry to the dorm cafeteria; across the courtyard from me was Spiller Hall, a girls' dorm.

No one was coming. So I hurled the bottle at the ground as hard as I could.

Boing -- boing -- boing-boingboing. The bottle bounced like a soccer ball. Most unsatisfying. I raced down the stairs, retrieved it and tried again.

Boing -- boing -- boing-boingboing. OK, I thought. One more try and I'll REALLY throw it HARD this time.

I fetched it back upstairs. I hauled off. I sent that bottle hurtling at the ground so hard I imagined it would chip the concrete.

Now, keep in mind, this was 1986, and almost all 2-liter bottles were capped with aluminum caps. The one I had just thrown at the ground was one of the early exceptions, and it was closed with one of the now-familiar plastic kind of cap. And on this throw, the bottle landed cap down. Upon striking the ground, the cap shattered , the bottle's contents surged out, and the bottle took flight.

It rose majestically about 10 feet into the air and headed straight for Spiller Hall. Horrified, I watched as it screamed at the dorm like a Sidewinder locked onto a MiG, then at the last second hung a hard right and "buzzed" past three dorm-room windows on the second floor before dropping, spent, into a laurel bush. The entire courtyard was filled with the stench of overly yeasty ginger ale. And I do mean "stench."
In the middle window, I saw a girl reaching for the window latch -- presumably to open the window and ask me what the hell I was doing. Just as she reached for the window latch, my bottle blasted past her window, generously anointing it with yeasty, sour, rank ginger ale. She opened her window, looking rather like someone who's just been shot at and missed, and informed me wrathfully that I was extremely lucky she hadn't opened the window a second sooner. Stunned and rather expecting to be arrested at any moment, I agreed.

Well ... that's my only bottle bomb story. I can't really recommend this to anybody, but it was a helluva sight ...

lmfao!!!

thank you for that!! just gave me a great laugh

Back