Bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collywobbles2014

Reaction score
Ok so I think I may have made a mistake. I brewed a summer ale clone 12 days ago that's a partial grain recipe. The OG was 1.060 and the last hydrometer I took was at 1.012. I did not however wait it out and see if it had completed it's fermentation. I bottled it this morning. It had a very golden clear look to it with some haziness. Basically I'm just waiting for these things to start exploding so I have them in a locked hard plastic tub. Anyone ever make a mistake like this?

About a million people have made this mistake. First of all, good call getting them somewhere safe. Second, there is a good chance you don't get bombs because the brew already started clearing and you got to a pretty low FG. Chances are it was done, and if not, it was likely close.

Big question is how much priming sugar did you add? Did you add per a calculator and did you add by weight or by volume.

I have had bottle bombs with cider, but when I had that to mitigate it I put them in the fridge before opening. The cold temp compresses the liquid and gas so there is less pressure inside the bottle. Also open slowly... So slowly that you don't know if you are even opening it. If you hear a his at all ... Stop and wait. Then repeat... Bottle bomb drinks are some of the fizziest best drinks if you get them in the glass.

The expected FG was 1.014 I believe. I boiled 2/3 cup of priming sugar in 2 cups of water and then put it in my secondary and added the wort (about 5 gallons).

The expected FG was 1.014 I believe. I boiled 2/3 cup of priming sugar in 2 cups of water and then put it in my secondary and added the wort (about 5 gallons).

Did you bottle directly from secondary? Not totally sure I understand what's going on. If you left it in secondary, the sugar you added would ferment out and when you bottled (if significantly later) you would get flat beer.

Did you bottle directly from secondary? Not totally sure I understand what's going on. If you left it in secondary, the sugar you added would ferment out and when you bottled (if significantly later) you would get flat beer.

I assume he meant secondary as in bottling bucket but not positive. I think you will be fine, that seems like a pretty good FG. Keep us updated!

I doubt that these are bombs, but urge you not to use cup measure for your priming sugar, weigh it out properly, so you are in control.

Back