Bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurnersvilleBrewr

Reaction score
Hello,

I bottled the Caribou Slobber on Saturday, and I realized that I screwed up on the amount of priming sugar.

I used the full 5 ounce packet of corn sugar into about 4.3 gallons (approx. 558 ounces). I made sure to stir the priming sugar, and the beer was in the primary for four weeks. (I took a sip and it tasted good).

Am I looking at bottle bombs or gushers?

Anything I can or should do?

Thanks!

That is a lot of sugar. I use around 3.61 for that amount of beer. I would "burp" the bottles after 3-4 days. Then start trying one every day till you get the carb you want. Continue to burp them mabe 1-2 more times. You also could stovetop pasteurize, although I have never done this with beer, just cider.
Personally I would burp the bottles at day 3, day 6, and day 9. All while testing them.

For the swing tops just crack them enough to exhaust some CO2 and snap them shut again. For caps use a bottle opener and just slowly and gently lift the cap just a tiny bit to release some of the CO2. Its a neat trick and works well if you have bottles that have been over-carbed.

So, I'm venting these beers but not sampling them, correct? Or am I sampling one each time to get the right carb levels?

What should I do after day 9 (or when I'm good with the carb levels), put them in the fridge to stop or greatly slow carbonation?

Thanks again!

I think what Terek means is on day three crack one to see what the carb level is like. If its not much yet wait it out. If it seems like its over carbed already burp the remaining bottles. On day 6, crack another one and see what its like. Burp the bottles again if it is still over-carbed. Day 9, repeat, burping if necessary. Keep doing this until you get to day X where you crack one and are happy with the carbonation level. Hope that helps!

Back