Bottle bombs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
Just bottled my batch that got stuck at 1.022. I followed the directions and proper amounts of priming sugar. Am I at risk of bombs? Should I recap to avoid bombs? I don't want to lose an eye!

Def stuck. I can regularly get 1.05x's down to 1.010. It might've been better to gently swirl the fermenter to stir up some yeast. Warm it a little & give it a week. You may have to crack them at about 1 week to relieve some pressure.

I have already bottled them. I don't have room in the fridge for all of them to condition. I keep my house in the low 70's.

One week mark? Im really nervous about this now. One is a 65oz growler from stone brewing company that is about the size of a gallon of milk. That one would probably blow my head off!

What do I do? I don't want to endanger my wife and kid!

First off,growlers aren't designed for co2 pressure during carbonation time. Stricktly for beer transport. Keep them in an enclosed area,or a big tupperware bin with a lid.

Anything special I should do with the growler? Maybe pop the top more often?

I just cracked one and it felt like it had more pop to it then it does when my normal brews pop that have been conditioning for weeks. It's been about 24 hours...

I think I'm going to pop them all and then wait a few days and do another test pop.

They are bottled in the grolsch pop tops by the way, if that matters...

I noticed when I popped them, they foamed a little. I quickly closed them back up. Is the foaming going to cause more gas to build up and at a greater rate? Or is it the opposite?

The foaming is just the same as any other beer you open, no big deal. Something I've done with those swing tops before if I'm worried about pressure is to unlatch them but leave the lid sitting on the top, add a dixie cup for extra safety if you like, and just let them sit a few days that way. Works like an improvised airlock on each bottle, then just latch them up again after they've settled down some.

The thing about trying to carb in a growler is that you actually need that CO2 you are releasing to be forced back into your beer to carbonate it. As the priming sugar is fermented, the headspace becomes highly pressurized before the CO2 is forced back into the beverage, and the pressure drops. Someone did an experiment on this where they rigged a psi meter to a carbonating bottle. It went up, then down. That's why we don't try to bottle in growlers. You may get away with it, but keep that thing somewhere that a piece of glass won't hit the wife. She will not be impressed ;)

So I'll keep an eye on the gallon growler. Do you think the grolsch bottled ones will be ok, or do you guys consider them the same thing, just smaller form? Does it go the same with capped bottles? I noticed the few I had capped did seem quite as "explosive" as the grolsch bottles.

I popped and recapped all of them and moved them somewhere safe. I've been using the same grolsch bottles since I started home brewing, this is the 6 or 7th batch and no explosions yet. Don't want to start now...

Was this a extract kit? Many extract kits are know to finish around 1.020 for some strange reason. I did a midwest amber that sit at 1.020 for close to a month. Put it in bottle and let it set for 3 weeks never had one bomb. So relax and have a beer and dont worry about it. How ever i would keep an eye on that growler but the swing tops are pretty strong think bottles so like i said relax and have a beer and let them do there thing.

It was an extract kit from true brew. Never had this problem before with their extract kits. Will the pressure I released now cause my beer to be less carbed? I'm a little worried now that they won't carb properly...

I've let the pressure out of the growler twice. I'm willing to let that beer go If it tastes nasty/uncarbed. Worth not risking beheading...

At this point i would just relax and let it do its thing. The growler may take a bit longer to get carbed up or may be a little under carbed but hey if it tastes good drink it.

I guess it's a lesson learned: don't carbonate in growlers. I think the guy who gave them to me is trying to sabotage me haha

If it turns out flat or way skunky give it back to him and say here is a present for you. Lol

Well crap! I just tried one and it's completely flat. It's been a week since I bottled (I recapped the day after I bottled to relieve some pressure). This one was in the fridge since I recapped it for a week. Did I completely fug up this brew? Anything I can do to get them carbed? Most have been sitting in a room in the lower 70's. Haven't tried them yet...

Anyone advice? The few that I have tried have been completely flat...

What temp is the area then in currently? If its below say 70-73 f i would move them to somewhere warmer and give them another week

I moved them out of the frig and they sitting in the extra room, roughly 73-75 degrees. I could move them to the garage, but in Florida it probably gets well into the 90's...and then down in the 70's at night.

Yeah man give them a week and start checking on them about every 3 days after

Well, been over two weeks in bottles now, popped one in the frig a few days ago and just tried it. To my surprise, it was under carbed, almost no head. I guess I shouldn't have popped them open the day after I bottled :(

But, it tastes good and is definitely drinkable, so whatever...

Well, been over two weeks in bottles now, popped one in the frig a few days ago and just tried it. To my surprise, it was under carbed, almost no head. I guess I shouldn't have popped them open the day after I bottled :(

But, it tastes good and is definitely drinkable, so whatever...

you shouldn't have lost much carbonation after only a day ... you said you gave them 2 weeks at room temp. give them a couple more weeks at that temp before trying another one. you most likely fully finished your fermentation at 1.02 and don't need to worry about it.

Back