Bottle bombs in my future?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I have been working on this Belgian Tripel for 2 months now. I started at an OG of 1.105, but stalled out at 1.050. I repitched WLP530 (big starter) and got down to 1.034, where it stopped again. I then tossed in WLP715 (champagne yeast), and after 10 days it is holding at 1.030.

I am willing to accept that this is as far as it will go, even though it tastes pretty sweet still. The odd thing is that it is basically carbonated in the carboy. If I shake it up, it foams up, and a sample taken out is fizzy. I thought that there must still be fermentation going on, but it has been at 1.030 for 3-4 days.

What gives with this? I'm afraid that if I bottle, it will sound like downtown Baghdad in my basement. On the other hand, if it is still fermenting, why isn't the gravity going down??

The recipe was LME and candi sugar with only 1/2 lb biscuit malt. I suspect the LME had some nonfermentables. I just haven't ever seen this much carbonation coming out of solution.

how hard are you shaking that carboy? i'd hate to think you were aerating it and causing oxidation.

Back