Bottle Bomb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amartinez

Reaction score
I started a 5 gallon batch of cider from a local orchard with some brown sugar and honey at around 1.070 SG and after 6 week's it's come down to 1.030 and stabilized. I talked to the owner of the mill and the cider did have a bit of sodium benzoate in it, less than a commercial dose but still present. It tastes fantastic and, as it's mostly for SWMBO, I'm not really worried about the lower ABV, but I was planning on adding some fresh yeast to bottle carb, only now I'm worried about the yeast munching too much sugar and giving me my first batch of bombs. Should I pitch another starter and see if I can get the gravity a bit lower or just go ahead and bottle?

Well I would go with the advice of some of the more seasoned cider producers here, but I could say with 99% certainty that adding yeast to carb is a bad idea.

You do NOT want to bottle at 1.030 if there's a chance of refermentation. I would pitch another starter. OR you could add your own sodium benzoate/potassium sorbate and bottle it sweet OR bottle it in 2-liter plastic bottles so no one gets maimed.

Back