Bottle bomb, no head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sololuke

Reaction score
I have something really annoying happening. I have been having an issue of no heads on most my beers. My current problem is with a brown ale I accidently over carved and the foam when opening in not chilled and still when I pout it I have no head. I use no soap in my sanitation process and I'm not sure what my issue is. For car boys I only use star San. For bottles I soak in oxyclean (sometimes free, sometimes generic) and then rinse and soak in star San, rinse and dry. Botteling day they get a star san rinse and filled.
I used to only use star San and not have a head problem. But I wanted to improve my sanitation so I could share knowing it was a truly clean bottle. My last I bottled tonight was a Brewers best box kit and noticed what might have been an oil slick on top in the carboy. It looked the same as how star San kinda has a soap like sheen and there was a lot of foam in the carboy when I transferred. This lack of head has been haunting me all year and I thought it was because I didn't star San rinse after oxy soak. Or because I didn't use oxy free. But I re sanitized all my bottles like I mentioned and the problem is here still. I can switch to pbw if that will fix it. But I would love advice.
Brewer about 15 batches in 3 years is my experience.
Mostly sweet stouts with small heads. But my heffeweizen had small head this year too. Same procedure as previous years and never had that issue. Help appreciated.

what are you using on your glassware? it could be oily/soapy residue there.

Come to think of it, the end of summer I did wash my mash cooler with soap and water to get rid of summer yuck/abuse smell. And I do remember seeing bubbles in my mash before sparging. But that doesn't explain the heffe I made earlier that is my extract recipe that had the lamest head for a wheat beer. I suppose the maltster could have made a mistake with that extract.
How would I properly rid my mash tun of any remaining soap residue? Soak in star San or oxy?

How you wash your drinking glassware counts too. Washing in the dishwasher with an anti-spotting agent will leave a residue that will quickly kill the heading. Only hand wash your drinking glasses.

This oil film is most likely part of an infection. Usually caused by too much oxygen ingress into the fermenter.

There are always a few unwanted microbes within our beer, the key is to keep the numbers small ie. Keep the environment oxygen free and the beer infused with hops. Hops keep the number of lactic acid bacteria low and no oxygen keeps acetic acid bacteria low. In my case it was the latter that caused the problems, they destroy taste with time and munch on alcohol and proteins which destroys the foam.

I had this problem all the time when using buckets, they suck, only a few are air tight. Upgrading to a speidel pet fermenter solved this issue for me.

Well I just poured a beer from my cherry Stout and I ran out of cups and had to use a travel coffee cup which was hand washed and to my surprise there was a ton of head. My other stout with this problem I poured into a hand washed beer mug and had the no head issue. Under close inspection there was an infection that went unnoticed. Taste has no off flavor but the infection could have more likely been from not enough hips rather than sanitation. I think I it came out to like 12 or 17 something as low a range as beer Smith said was OK. Okygen coming in is doubtful but I didn't sterilize the coffee beans in secondary which I normally don't do. My abv came out much lower than in the past, I missed my mash temp and accigot a lot more unfermentable sugas so it could have been more susepticle to infection?
Food for thought. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back