Bottle beer in kombucha bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zibe

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but.....anybody bottled beer in a used glass kombucha bottle like this?

View attachment 420770

Kombucha is carbonated but usually not as high as beer but since it's a live product figured they'd have to be designed to hold greater pressure if it were to keep fermenting. I'll probably just do it on the next batch and see if it breaks but figured I'd see if anyone else uses them.

Pros's
Amber glass (seems as thick if not thicker than beer bottles)
Readily available since my wife drinks a few a week
Screw top
Almost a pint
Fit perfect in my fridge where other bottles don't (I have a mini fridge and the bottom shelf is too low for even Sierra Nevada bottles and these are just slightly shorter) allowing me to pack 9 of these there which is just shy of a normal 12oz 12 pack.

Seems risky to me. Screw top with broken seal means it can possibly leak, dont know about the ability to contain beer pressure and the part Id be worried about is the fact that the bottle and cap have been used to hold something that has wild yeast/bacteria in them. The bottle wont hold anything, but I cant say that the cap wont get anything in the nooks and crannies. Might be worth a try, but I would keep it in a bomb proof tupperware away from anything that you dont want damaged just in case

I usually bottle a few in plastic soda bottles to tell when carbonation is done. So no problems with caps for me.
Bottle a few and try it. I think you will be fine.
Be a hero... Do it and post your results.
Cheers

I'll give it a go next bottle session may even throw extra sugar in one to test the upper limit (in an explosion proof container of course). The wild yeast doesn't bother me starsan'll kill them dead and I'll run the bottles through the dishwasher on santitize. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm working on minimizing my setup and I'm blaspheming cause I'm going from three keg kegerator, five gallon electric brews, and a temp controlled fridge down to a mini fridge, 2.5 gallon stovetop biab, bottling, and NO temp controlled fermentation [emoji33]

If you think about it, it's basically a small growler, which can have problems. That being said, I've reused kombucha bottles for kombucha and they carbed very nicely and there weren't any explosions. I would imagine the same will be true for beer. Another consideration is that the bottles are likely more permeable to oxygen which isn't a concern for kombucha, so your shelf-life will be reduced.

On another note, you giving away that kegerator and kegs? :p

Not worried about shelf life I'll only be bottling half or so of each batch in these (if they aren't beer filled grenades) and I'll just drink them first plus at 2.5 gallon batches nothin sticks around too long.
Think I already have a buyer for the kegerator. The LHBS (if you can call 2.5 hours local) is willing to buy the kegs and co2 tank for more than I paid (found some Craigslist deals a while back).

Bottled today so filled up two of the kombucha bottles. Saw an old mr beer manual said 1 tsp sugar per 16 oz bottle so did just a slight bit under that I'll post on how it goes they'll be fermenting away in a hopefully bottlebomb proof Tupperware. I've also been using these bottles to house yeast think I'm on generation 5 of a pitch of Hothead from Omega Yeast

Bottled two of one batch neither exploded and no infections. I bottled another two of the next batch and they've been carbing for two weeks and are still in one piece. Only thing of note is that the caps bulged a little on the top. The first two were also a little over carbed for my liking. These bottles were probably NOT designed for this and I don't want to recommend that anyone follow suit as bottle bombs could definitely happen but I'll probably continue to use them with care (always carb in blastproof Tupperware).
Your experience may vary.

Back