Botched my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3track

Are you sure about that?
Reaction score
So I need to change how I set up my hops - last night I brewed northern's surly bender kit, but in my hast I read the order of additions wrong (I have to find something to blame such a dumb move on).

So I got my .25oz willamette first wort hop in, got to the boil....and instead of the .75oz cascade.....I added 2.5oz willamette :(

My fix was to cut the boil to 30 mins, and add the cascade at flameout

Since the kit is $40 I didn't want to dump

Anyone have any ideas on how this may turn out?
Was cutting the boil the best move?

Thanks everyone

I've heard Surly is good - and - hoppy. I haven't found it to try yet. I'm looking forward to it. I have a brother that lives in Carver and a sister in Hugo.

You will probably end up with less bitter. Hops bitter is a decent sized portion of the flavor.

...shoulda-coulda-woulda.... I would have continued to boil for a longer period of time. Did you smell it. Smell is a big factor inn taste.

If you took a sample to taste it will not be what the final flavor will be. You may get an idea of how hoppy it is though.

All that said, I'd bet it will be OK beer, just not exactly what you expected.

If you title your thread descriptively, you will see related threads appear at the bottom of the page.

Go to the upper left and search "hop tea" if you think you might like to adjust.

It'll be fine. Sometimes when I make mistakes I end up with really great beer and then can't remember how I screwed it up so I can duplicate it.

The smell was good - I cut the boil time because I was worried having almost 3oz in would make it crushingly bitter, and since it's a oatmeal brown ale, I didn't want that.

I guess we will see how it goes, I'll have to get this kit again to see if I can pull it off without screwing it up

So I kegged this (first keg batch!) and it turned out pretty good! The fuggles really come through, but they don't over power, and that is what I was worried about.

All-in-all, a pretty tasty screw-up

Back