Boston Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I was thinking about brewing something similiar to Sam Adams Boston Lager. Am I correct in thinking this brew is a vienna lager? Secondly, any yeast suggestions?

there are various recipes out there, seems the vienna with some pilsner yeast is common to many of them

I get quite a bit of caramel from SABL. Also, I believe it's dry-hopped with Mittelfrüh. Those are things that make it not very Vienna, even if it fits all the numbers.

I get quite a bit of caramel from SABL. Also, I believe it's dry-hopped with Mittelfrüh. Those are things that make it not very Vienna, even if it fits all the numbers.

See that's what I was thinking....Is it safe to assume that the Boston Lager is a style of its own, not really a vienna lager, but uses those primary ingrediants?

Sam Adams bills most of its recipes as an American, East Coast adaptation of a European style. So, I'd say its fair to assume tha Boston Lager is in a category of its own. I get a fair amount of caramel as well.

This was the first hit from a google search of "boston lager clone." Not sure if it's in the ballpark or not:

Sam Adams Boston Lager Clone Brew Recipe (extract)

Description:

This is the extract version of Boston Lager. I never made this but the calculations are correct and sould taste very close.
Size:

5 gallons
Ingredients:
# 1/2 lb. 60 crystal
# 4 lb. light malt extract
# 2 1/2 lb. light DME
# 2 oz. Tettnanger(bittering)
# 1/2 oz. Tettnanger(aroma)
# 1/4 oz. Hallerttau Mittlefruh(flavor)
# 1/4 oz. Hallerttau Mittlefruh(dry)
# 1 tsp. Irish Moss
# 1 1/4 cup xtra light DME(priming)
# Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast
Brewing Instructions:

Steep crystal in 1/2 gallon of 150f water for 20 min.Strain the grain and run 1/2 gallon of 150f water over the grains.Add enough water to get 1 1/2 gallons. Bring to a boil and remove from jeat. Add the Xtract,light DME, and bittering hops. Bring water to 2 1/2 gallond and boil for 45 min.Add flavor hops and irish moss. Boil for 13 min. and add the aroma hops.Boil for 2 more min. Remove from stove, cool,place in fermentor,and add enough water to make 5 gallons.Pitch yeast and ferment cool(55f).Rack to secondary and add the dry hops.
Fermentation:
# Primary for 10 days@55.
# O.G.-1.050
# F.G.-1.012
# Alcohol-5.0%

Back