Boston Beer Brewday 4/19 !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Ok, Boys and girls, it's that time again. Any and all Boston, Massachusetts, NH, RI, etc brewers interested in a group brew day are welcome at my house on Saturday March 29th. We had 4 HBT brewers the last time and it was great. Time to up the ante. DATE CHANGE 4/19

I'm going to brew an Octoberfest, do the traditional brew in March, drink in the fall thing. I'll fire up the BBQ and smoke something, ribs, pulled pork, I don't know. No, I got it! Brisket! I'm way overdue on a brisket.

Who's interested? There is plenty of space for others to brew and it's a blast to have multiple brews going on at once. We can also do a beer swap if anyone is interested.

Paulthenurse

You can count me in! As the time gets closer let me know what I can bring for food... Maybe in the spirit of brewing i'll bring some spent grain bread!
Thanks Paul!
~M

Looks like there might be some contention, I planed a repeat of the Maerzen-brew that I had last year which wasn't necessarily planned for the same day, but for the end of March as well.

I'll have to check.

Kai

Where abouts do you live? I'm on Charles st on Beacon Hill, maybe I can stop buy, I'll probably have my first brew done some you guys can give my some tips. Also I can bring an abundance of Better Than Freds Chips and salsa!

Sean

Some bad news here at work. Due to an unfortunate series of coincidences three of my collegues are going to be out of work from now thru sometime in April for medical reasons and the rest of us are going to have to fill in the holes in the schedule. What that means for me is OT. Yea! What that means for you guys is that I'm going to have to reschedule the March 29th brew date at my house. I don't know right now when I can reschedule it. I do know the it can't be the following weekend as I have another commitment. I just found out about this today so I need to talk to Alice and find out when is a good time to reschedule. I'll aim for in April, probably the weekend of the 19/20th. Sorry about that guys, but I'll try to have a firm date by the beginning of next week.

Paul

I'm in too. Having another bew-out in April works out well for me given that I'm still hosting my Maerzen-brew in two weeks.

Kai

paulthenurse said:
Hey Kaiser, wanna help me develop my recipe for the Imperial Mild? :ban: Join me in boldly going where no brewer has bothered going before!

I can try, but I have no idea how a mild should actually taste like.

Kai

I would love to come along - looks like I will be showing off homebrew in Philly that weekend for my sister's birthday ..

Have fun !

Paul, I would love to attend whenever you figure out the date let me know.

What hospital do you work at?

I work at Beth Israel in the ER.

OK Boys and Girls! I got the OK from SWMBO for Saturday April 19th. Sorry I wasn't able to firm this up earlier, you know how it goes. So here's the deal. My house. I'll have at least three burners available and two or three immersion coolers. (I got people.) I'll be using my big mash tun but I have a 5 gallon Gott available if someone wants to try a small all grain batch. I've got a three tap ball lock keezer with a bottle opener attached. I'll pull Bertha around to the driveway and we can BBQ. If everyone would bring a little something to nosh on we'll make a party out of it.

I'm gonna brew a 10 gallon Octoberfest for the fall. Who's brewing what?

paulthenurse said:
OK Boys and Girls! I got the OK from SWMBO for Saturday April 19th. Sorry I wasn't able to firm this up earlier, you know how it goes. So here's the deal. My house. I'll have at least three burners available and two or three immersion coolers. (I got people.) I'll be using my big mash tun but I have a 5 gallon Gott available if someone wants to try a small all grain batch. I've got a three tap ball lock keezer with a bottle opener attached. I'll pull Bertha around to the driveway and we can BBQ. If everyone would bring a little something to nosh on we'll make a party out of it.

I'm gonna brew a 10 gallon Octoberfest for the fall. Who's brewing what?

YAY for Paul's SWMBO! I'll check to see if the big guy is up for an excursion! Oh, and I'll bring some food. :)

:mug:

Melana said:
YAY for Paul's SWMBO! I'll check to see if the big guy is up for an excursion! Oh, and I'll bring some food. :)

+1 for Pauls swmbo. Sounds like we's a headed for Stoughton. I know we won't be brewing but we'll be doing lots of observing. I can smell the brats cooking now. hint hint

paulthenurse said:
From what I understand, BigJohn, we'll need to reserve a hog just for you.

I'm not sure if that came out ok or if it sounds weird but I'm just going to go with it.

You can go with it.

We'll bring the brats.

Bump.

Hey Boston/ New England folks, we are on for Saturday the 19th with Sunday the 20th as a rain day. I figure on getting going around 1 and I'm making a day of it.

I really hope a few of you will be bringing stuff to brew. It is a real blast wandering around watching what other people do and why, and a great learning experience to have other brewers around while you brew. A really good way to pick up tips and to get advice on a way that might be easier or better. Putting your kit in your car and going somewhere to brew is not as complicated as you might think, even if you are doing an all grain batch. I've done it a few times, going to a friends house and it's not as much of a PITA as you might think.

The only thing you'll NEED to bring is yourself. If you want to brew, the things that will make it easier on you to bring will be ...

a pot

a carboy and a stopper to get your beer home.

your ingrediants (The Witches Brew is nearby, easy to find, and will be open noon to 5)

I'll have an immersion cooler or three here and we should have three or four burners. Thermometers and hydrometers, iodine, sanitizer, pump, hoses, etc, I've got, don't bother. If you have some weird gizmo that you must have with you to brew, bring it. I've got a few weird gizmo's of my own but probably not yours

Anything you want to bring for edibles. I always ask folks to bring something so that I don't go broke doing these parties. I'll smoke a few racks of ribs and the fixin's.

I'll have a few beers on tap, not really sure what I have ready right now. At the moment I'm drinking an American bitter and my Boston Public Garten, a Hoegarten clone. They should still be pouring in a month. And I have my India Wharf IPA ready to go, and a keg of my Bleacher Beer. I'll break out a few of the 888 Russian Imperial Stouts for folks to try if you didn't brew it in January for the swap. (I got a scoresheet for the 888 in the mail yesterday and I was pleased with my score. Hits for it being immature and not hoppy enough. Couldn't tell the judges that it was brewed with the intent of having 88 IBU's and to be drunk on 8/8/08) I'll pull a few bottles of vino out, too, if anyone is interested.

PTN

So the big brew day is on eh, how many people do you estimate are going to make it?

So far we have...

Me (+ Brewing)
Kaiser ( + Brewing)
BigJohn (NO)
Melana (NO)
MrWill (No)
Beergears (? Brewing ?)

Also, Bullsbeers and The_Bird indicated that they would try to make it. And you?

Speak up folks. Are you coming and are you brewing?

I would love to come, but don't know if I can make it yet, Saturday night my friend is having a B-day thing, so I guess it depends on timing.

Back