Bootleg Biology OSLO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched my OSLO on Monday afternoon and got a krausen 4 hours later. Today, Friday morning it's still bubbling away, even though the krausen has mostly subsided. Getting about 1 bubble per second out of the airlock.

Maybe I'm seeing a slightly longer fermentation time since this yeast pitch came from the actual pouch from bootleg biology. Based on what others have said, i thought this would have been done a day or so ago haha.

I might take a gravity sample later today to see what it's actually at.

I use a Tilt, so can see where the gravity is at (relatively speaking). Really helps keep me from messing with the beer!

First batch with Oslo is off and running. Ordered the yeast a long time ago. Production date was 3/28, So I made a vitality starter. Pitched at 80 and set the heater to 90. Seems to be cruising right along.

Attempting something loosely inspired by Taras Bolba or XX Bitter. Low OG, super long low mash, highly hopped at the start of the boil, really hard water. Blend of Saaz and Amarillo including some of the newish German grown Amarillo t-44 pellets.

Interested to see how this turns out. Ordered another pack at the same time and gave it to a friend who’s a pretty experienced brewer. He got some really bad plasticy notes from it. I don’t think it was any sort of infection, at least not one I could put a finger on.

Just racked my marzen to a keg and put it under pressure to carb up. It was pretty hard to gauge the flavor profile from an 85'F flat hydrometer sample, but i have high hopes for it! Will report back when it's carbed up.

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010

Fermented at 86'F for one week.

Marzen using OSLO photos and yeast drying:

Finished fermenting:
opfDI4T.jpg

Happy with the color/clarity:
jVWsgdM.jpg

Probably too thick but I guess we'll see:
MCEG8e8.jpg

9eBmlbz.jpg

Marzen using OSLO photos and yeast drying:

Finished fermenting:

Happy with the color/clarity:

Probably too thick but I guess we'll see:

It is a bit thick, but you should be fine. That's about how thick I did it the first time. It'll dry, just might take a little longer.

Well, I've decided my Festbier with Oslo probably had a small infection (my first). It tasted fantastic at packaging but all of my bottles have just a slight sourness to them...though, it took longer than usual to carbonate.

Yesterday I just packaged another beer that used the dried flakes from my first Oslo batch and the gravity sample tasted great as well! So it's safe to say my fermenter is free of infection...So I'm thinking it's the bottling bucket, siphon/hoses, or spatula I used to stir in the priming sugar (even though they were all soaked in Starsan). This time I opted to bottle directly from the fermenter into bottles using Domino Dots. So I guess we will see how this one turns out. Time for a DEEP clean of my equipment.

My second bottled Oslo beer came out somewhat sour and also is having trouble carbonating. I'm beginning to rethink my conclusion of contamination after listening to a podcast that brought up kveik strains and increased pH drops...

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-67-quaking-long-beach

I'm not sure why I am getting a somewhat sour beer compared to others' experiences other than I am bottle conditioning while most others are kegging. Is anyone else bottling and having success? I'm just trying to figure out if something about bottling is making this yeast drop the pH further (as a result of pressure?).

My second bottled Oslo beer came out somewhat sour and also is having trouble carbonating. I'm beginning to rethink my conclusion of contamination after listening to a podcast that brought up kveik strains and increased pH drops...

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-67-quaking-long-beach

I'm not sure why I am getting a somewhat sour beer compared to others' experiences other than I am bottle conditioning while most others are kegging. Is anyone else bottling and having success? I'm just trying to figure out if something about bottling is making this yeast drop the pH further (as a result of pressure?).
I bottled my first batch and had no issues with it tasting sour. I'm doing an OSLO barleywine this weekend. I'll report back if I experience any oddities with it. It will be bottled as well.

What was you're recipe like that you're having these issues with?

Just opened the first bottle of my second Oslo batch.

German pils and Mt. Hood smash, pitched at 80F and peaked at 90F, from 1.051 to 1.010. No issues with sourness or the bottles carbing.

This one has a very smooth, silky mouthfeel with some notes of apricot and melon in the aroma and flavor. Very crushable. My impression is that Oslo leaves the body and mouthfeel of the beer with the character of a lager, but produces stronger esters along the lines of a clean-ish ale yeast.

Reading on some comment on Milk The Funk group seems Oslo is not a real kveik, was isolated from a blend of other kveik strains but not confirmed by Lars to be kveik. Still not knowing what it is it can be fermented warm and dry up as other kveik strains, so that's the best thing for me.

I bottled my first batch and had no issues with it tasting sour. I'm doing an OSLO barleywine this weekend. I'll report back if I experience any oddities with it. It will be bottled as well.

What was you're recipe like that you're having these issues with?

I've done a festbier with vienna/pilsner/munich malts, saaz hops, and fermented at 95F. The gravity sample prior to bottling was delicious. Bottle conditioning took over 3 weeks, with agitation and temp increases after 2 weeks.

My second batch used 2 row/munich/melanoidin/crystal 60 malts, Sterling hops, and fermented at 95F. I pitched dried flakes from the first beer. However, once again, the gravity sample tasted great. After 2 weeks sitting at room temp the beer was severely undercarbed and had that slight sour character again (wasn't present in the gravity sample). It's now been 3 weeks for this one, and I'm about to open another one tonight after it's been in the fridge for a day.

Have you guys that have bottled at least been seeing longer than normal times to carbonate? I usually have fairly well carbed beer in 1 week, usually fully carbed at 2 weeks.

I just brewed up a 2.5 gallon 'kitchen sink' beer to test my oslo for the sourness i experienced in the first generation of it (a marzen). The only other variable with my marzen was that it was my first time using Beersmith's built in water mineral adjustment tool. I usually just add calcium chloride or gypsum but this had me adding all kinds of stuff. I want to test a batch without water adjustments to see if i get that same sour flavor.

A buddy sampled the marzen and had a good idea though... rather than dumping my keg i'm going to buy some cranberry and tart cherry juice and add it. I'll call it a fruited amber and roll with it haha

Just kegged the Oslo beer. When I was cleaning out the conical I noticed that there was evidence of a pellicle. There’s no Brett or lactic character in the beer.

Buddy who I gave one of the packs that I order said he also got a pellicle on the starter he made.

Anyone else?

I’ve never used anything that would form a pellicle in that fermenter and to my knowledge I’ve never had a noticeable unintentional infection in more than 200 brews.

Hmm... That is concerning that there are several reports of it souring. Has anyone tried reaching out to Bootleg Biology/pointing them to this thread?

@TandemTails For your kitchen sink beer did you use the OSLO that you showed drying earlier in this thread? I'm curious if whatever is causing the souring (be it OSLO or some contamination) survives the drying process. Some kveiks have LAB that survive the drying process, but OSLO being an isolate *shouldn't* have any of that.

I don't know, just kind of spit-balling. I really like the results I got when I used it and hope everyone else can find the same success. :)

Hmm... That is concerning that there are several reports of it souring. Has anyone tried reaching out to Bootleg Biology/pointing them to this thread?

@TandemTails For your kitchen sink beer did you use the OSLO that you showed drying earlier in this thread? I'm curious if whatever is causing the souring (be it OSLO or some contamination) survives the drying process. Some kveiks have LAB that survive the drying process, but OSLO being an isolate *shouldn't* have any of that.

I don't know, just kind of spit-balling. I really like the results I got when I used it and hope everyone else can find the same success. :)

Couch said NO hint of Brett or Lacto character.

Just kegged the Oslo beer. When I was cleaning out the conical I noticed that there was evidence of a pellicle. There’s no Brett or lactic character in the beer.

Buddy who I gave one of the packs that I order said he also got a pellicle on the starter he made.

Anyone else?

I’ve never used anything that would form a pellicle in that fermenter and to my knowledge I’ve never had a noticeable unintentional infection in more than 200 brews.

I didn’t notice anything like that and have overbuilt starters. I wonder if their QC (being a smaller outfit) is to blame here? How did your buddy see a pellicle in the starter? No stir plate?

It looks like the Basic Brewing guys just did a video about Oslo (fermenting a 100% German pilsner wort). Anyone else have similar results?

That video basically sums up my thoughts on Oslo. Good, but not great. A dull flavor compared to a crisp pilsner. That said, the fact that it ferments somewhat cleanly at close to 100 degrees is amazing and I'll use it for my yellow fizzy beers in the dog days of summer for that reason. I just won't expect a traditional lager from it.

I kept a couple jars of trub and used that for the kitchen sink beer. Depending on how this turns out, i might make a small starter with some of the dried oslo to see if that still comes across as tart.

I’ll ask my buddy again about the starter cause yeah that doesn’t make sense. I think he built a starter off some dregs before really trying the previous finished beer and when he tasted it and it was off he left the starter to see what would happen. Said he got a pellicle after three weeks. Both his beers had a distinct “plastic” note to them he said. Kid runs the LHBS so he kinda knows what he’s doing.

I will try mine today. Not looking forward to throwing away all the plastic pieces that touched that beer...

I would definitely attribute this to a QC issue before anything else.

Last edited:
Have you guys that have bottled at least been seeing longer than normal times to carbonate? I usually have fairly well carbed beer in 1 week, usually fully carbed at 2 weeks.

No issues here. I've been storing the bottles pretty warm (75F+) for two weeks before opening and they're fully carbed at that point. Since this yeast likes heat, I figure storing bottles warm during carbing is a good idea.

Anyone else?

I haven't gotten a pellicle. For me the yeast forms a moderate krausen, then drops out. Any pics?

That video basically sums up my thoughts on Oslo. Good, but not great. A dull flavor compared to a crisp pilsner. That said, the fact that it ferments somewhat cleanly at close to 100 degrees is amazing and I'll use it for my yellow fizzy beers in the dog days of summer for that reason. I just won't expect a traditional lager from it.

Same here. Pseudo-lagers at most.

No pics. I ferment in stainless conicals. But when I went to clean it there was the typical pellicle film on the sides of the conical.

If you’re worried about contamination you could always streak it out on a plate?

First batch with Oslo is off and running. Ordered the yeast a long time ago. Production date was 3/28, So I made a vitality starter. Pitched at 80 and set the heater to 90. Seems to be cruising right along.

Attempting something loosely inspired by Taras Bolba or XX Bitter. Low OG, super long low mash, highly hopped at the start of the boil, really hard water. Blend of Saaz and Amarillo including some of the newish German grown Amarillo t-44 pellets.

Interested to see how this turns out. Ordered another pack at the same time and gave it to a friend who’s a pretty experienced brewer. He got some really bad plasticy notes from it. I don’t think it was any sort of infection, at least not one I could put a finger on.

Willing to share that " really hard water " mash profile? I am also doing a warm fermented lager with Kveik and trying to figure out an apropriate mash water profile.

This wasn’t meant to be a lager really. Based on my experience there’s no way you could pass a beer made with this yeast off as a lager.

I’ll look to see what I did for that beer

This wasn’t meant to be a lager really. Based on my experience there’s no way you could pass a beer made with this yeast off as a lager.

I’ll look to see what I did for that beer

That seems a bit extreme! My experience (and one that appears to be echoed in this thread), is that this strain leaves a higher body/mouth fell than the FG would suggest. Flavor profile fits within lager style though.

I’m brewing a Festbier on September (brewclub comparison with a true lager strain, same base recipe), going to drive attenuation as much as possible to see what happens.

If you’re worried about contamination you could always streak it out on a plate?

I plan on plating mine soon to check for any contaminants. I have some leftover slurry straight from the package that has been in a mason jar in my fridge.

Am I’m the only one that gets this weird mouthfeel in every Kveik strain? Like this mid pallet mouth coating sensation? I don’t get it in any beer I’ve made with traditional yeast of any kind. Probably used more than 50 different Sacch strains by now..

It doesn’t linger but it’s a totally different sensation than normal Sacch yeast. It’s like some sort of glycerol production from the yeast? Not sure if that’s due to the high fermentation temps or what.

I’ve used Voss, Hornendal, Oslo, the Simonaitis (not technically Kveik), Hot Head. All have the same weird mouthfeel to them..

To me this sensation has no place in a lager. You could pass off 1056 fermented at 55 for a lager before the beer I brewed with Oslo. I don’t do any of the short lager methods though. Everything is slow and low and long lagering times so I might not be the best judge.

Am I’m the only one that gets this weird mouthfeel in every Kveik strain? Like this mid pallet mouth coating sensation? I don’t get it in any beer I’ve made with traditional yeast of any kind. Probably used more than 50 different Sacch strains by now..

It doesn’t linger but it’s a totally different sensation than normal Sacch yeast. It’s like some sort of glycerol production from the yeast? Not sure if that’s due to the high fermentation temps or what.

I’ve used Voss, Hornendal, Oslo, the Simonaitis (not technically Kveik), Hot Head. All have the same weird mouthfeel to them..

To me this sensation has no place in a lager. You could pass off 1056 fermented at 55 for a lager before the beer I brewed with Oslo. I don’t do any of the short lager methods though. Everything is slow and low and long lagering times so I might not be the best judge.

You also seem to have a very sensitive pallet, based on past posts. Doesn’t mean it’s not real (quite the opposite really!), but could be that others aren’t picking that up.

I hate to be that guy, but the word y'all want is "palate."

Pallet = what boxes are stacked on
Palette = what paint is dabbed on
Palate = what you taste food with

English is stupid.

An update on my tart marzen with oslo....

So several posts back I mentioned that I brewed a small ~2.5 gallon kitchen sink style beer to see of Oslo threw tartness in that too. I used some slurry from the marzen so it would have any contaminants that the marzen had as well.

Well, 11 days post pitch I tried it and there is no off flavor at all. It's a really clean lager like beer just like Oslo is supposed to produce. I guess I farked up my water profile pretty bad for the marzen to get that tartness.

I'll be brewing with Oslo again and will hopefully not run into any more issues :)

I get that as well. I haven't used Oslo, but I've used Voss, Simonaitis and Hornindal, and all of them produced beers with that thick mouthfeel for me. I made some sub-5% beers, and there's no way you would have expected that based on the mouthfeel. TYB's Voss was the worst for that in my experience.

For those of you that still have Facebook is there any discussion about this on MTF? It’s a different type of mouthfeel you would get from high FG or lots of Na, or even excessive diacetyl. I can’t really explain it. But it has some sort of slickness to it like diacetyl I guess but it’s still different.

I haven't noticed this sensation that you're describing. Though, that could be just that I haven't really paid attention to it/I haven't learned to notice these things.

I didn't really recall any discussions on MtF regarding this subject but just did a quick search on "kveik mouthfeel". While no one seems to have described it in the same terms as you, there does seem to be some interest in why kveik-fermented beers feel "bigger" than they are. Paraphrasing a few posts I read by some very knowledgeable people: there seems to be evidence that thermotolerance and overproduction of glycerol are correlated traits in yeast. These statements were tempered with a note that these studies were not complete, nor peer-reviewed.

An update on my tart marzen with oslo....

So several posts back I mentioned that I brewed a small ~2.5 gallon kitchen sink style beer to see of Oslo threw tartness in that too. I used some slurry from the marzen so it would have any contaminants that the marzen had as well.

Well, 11 days post pitch I tried it and there is no off flavor at all. It's a really clean lager like beer just like Oslo is supposed to produce. I guess I farked up my water profile pretty bad for the marzen to get that tartness.

I'll be brewing with Oslo again and will hopefully not run into any more issues :)

I Plated my Oslo two days ago...it's still early too determine for sure but so far nothing abnormal looking on the agar media.

@TandemTails you mentioned that one of the variables from your non-tart and tart beers was your water chemistry additions which got me thinking.

Next, I will be checking some final beer pH's and comparing to other kveik and non-kveik beers to see if anything looks off. I brew with very soft water and am wondering if those not getting that tartness have at least some sort of buffer capacity to counteract the added acidity from kveik (and in particular, Oslo).

I Plated my Oslo two days ago...it's still early too determine for sure but so far nothing abnormal looking on the agar media.

@TandemTails you mentioned that one of the variables from your non-tart and tart beers was your water chemistry additions which got me thinking.

Next, I will be checking some final beer pH's and comparing to other kveik and non-kveik beers to see if anything looks off. I brew with very soft water and am wondering if those not getting that tartness have at least some sort of buffer capacity to counteract the added acidity from kveik (and in particular, Oslo).
I'll be interested to hear the results of the pH tests. My mash and end of sparge pH for the tart beer were both right at target (5.3ish). I didn't take a reading of the final beer though.

Back