Bootleg Biology OSLO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20190502_201110.jpg

Pivo inspired pils in the glass and delicious!

Bootleg just announced more Oslo packs are available for purchase!

My next brew will be a Oslo-fermented Mexican lager with a cryo ekuanot Whirlpool (hoping for lime citrus vibe), can’t wait!

Seems there is still no information about dry harvest of this yeast on Lars blog, has anyone tried drying it top or bottom?.

Seems there is still no information about dry harvest of this yeast on Lars blog, has anyone tried drying it top or bottom?.

I hope to try to dry some in the next couple days. I just harvested some from the bottom a couple days ago. I'll report back as soon as I know if it works.

I made a 1.5L starter of Bootleg Bio OSLO last night (6pm).

Already finished this morning (6am). First pick is shaken up, second is 8 oz jars after ~3 min of settling.

Attachments

• B86D3FD8-09E3-46BD-8EDD-3D7A4EF24439.jpeg
    B86D3FD8-09E3-46BD-8EDD-3D7A4EF24439.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 228
  • 5B36C286-DB4F-4CB9-A13E-C909E6E13A22.jpeg
    5B36C286-DB4F-4CB9-A13E-C909E6E13A22.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
I went by Bootleg the other day to pick up a couple packets of Oslo. I talked with the owner and he said they do most of their pilot batches at 85 degrees. It will stall at less than 75 degrees. Just passing that info along.
This is great info!!!

^also interested in some Oslo flakes, but I don't have anything interesting to trade. Will gladly cover postage though.

I hope to try to dry some in the next couple days. I just harvested some from the bottom a couple days ago. I'll report back as soon as I know if it works.
Grad School has gotten in the way of getting this test done. I've dried half of a yeast cake. I hope to be able to report back on viability next week.

A small warning/word of caution with this yeast. I put a 5 gal carboy of pilsner in the fridge to cold crash. Beer went in at 1.014. Two weeks later the beer is at 1.011. (OG was 1.051) The fridge is in the mid-30's. I thought it was a bit odd that the airlock never showed signs of trying to suck in the liquid while in the fridge. Now I know why. Also had the other half of my starter ballon the plastic wrap I had over the mason jar, also in the fridge. This yeast isn't afraid of the cold.

How do you dry the yeast? Any links to a how to? I've been curious on a good way to store these hard to find strains...

I have tried a few ways: food dehydrator set at 95F, sheet pan lined with parchment in the oven that you turn on for 30 seconds every few hours, and then drying in open air (covered with a towel perhaps) on parchment paper. All of these methods work but they get progressively slower and longer drying times run the risk for mold growth. In my experience, the food dehydrator takes 6-12 hours based on how thin you spread the slurry, the oven works in about 2 days, and open air can take up to a week. I prefer the food dehydrator and, using maybe 25% of the yeast cake from a 3 gallon batch, I will yield up to 50 grams of flakes.

I have tried a few ways: food dehydrator set at 95F, sheet pan lined with parchment in the oven that you turn on for 30 seconds every few hours, and then drying in open air (covered with a towel perhaps) on parchment paper. All of these methods work but they get progressively slower and longer drying times run the risk for mold growth. In my experience, the food dehydrator takes 6-12 hours based on how thin you spread the slurry, the oven works in about 2 days, and open air can take up to a week. I prefer the food dehydrator and, using maybe 25% of the yeast cake from a 3 gallon batch, I will yield up to 50 grams of flakes.

My Oslo fermentation is just finishing up. I have a food dehydrator, so I'll give it a try and test the viability (I assume you can drop flakes into a DME starter solution as a test?).

Any tips on thickness?

My Oslo fermentation is just finishing up. I have a food dehydrator, so I'll give it a try and test the viability (I assume you can drop flakes into a DME starter solution as a test?).

Any tips on thickness?

Sure, you can just drop a gram of flakes into a starter and wait for activity; the flakes often take 24 hours to get going. For the slurry thickness, I go about it like pizza sauce, thick enough to where you can't see the substrate but not much more, maybe 3mm on average.

Brewed up a Mexican lager last night and pitched Oslo at 85F, hoping for about 81% efficiency based on Bootleg’s ranges. Fermentation kicked off within 2 hr (via Tilt).

Recipe:
70% Pilsner malt
25% Flaked Corn
5% Vienna malt
25 IBU

Added 1 oz cryo Ekuanot at 2 min to see if I can get a little lime profile in the beer.

Drinking my first Oslo batch right now. 96% Bohemian pilsner, 4% melanoidin, all German Tradition hops. Fermented at 93 degrees. OG: 1.056, FG: 1.010, IBU: 36. No sulfur, but I'm not sure I'd call it "lager-like". Aroma is heavy on sugar and orange, and the flavor follows, though the orange note might be from the hops. It has the smooth mouthfeel of a lager, though. Just slides down your throat. Maybe a Baltic porter next?

Update: My no-boil helles is ready to drink. 1.035 -> 1.010 in ~24 hours @85F. (Had intended for a higher OG, but got lazy and messed up the mash). 2oz Mandarina Bavaria for a 20 min whirlpool @ 180F. 85% German Pils 15% German Munich.
Super delicious, very soft mouthfeel, a bit of citrus on the finish. Has more body than the low ABV would suggest.
My main drive for brewing this was just to have something to build up the yeast.. but I think I'll probably have to revisit this recipe soon as it came out much better than expected.

I also tested the dried yeast. I put half the yeast cake in my dehydrator @95F and then chucked it in the freezer until I had a chance to make a starter (~2 weeks). I made a 1 cup starter last night and put a couple small flakes in and the krausen just started to form about an hour ago. So, it successfully dries for sure.

Fermenting a hoppy pilsner with Oslo kveik now. Fermentation took off within 2 hours, and flooded my blow off within four hours. Fermenting at 33 c. Pitched a 2 l starter into 25 liters of wort at 1052 OG.

I got my email and immediately ordered one. Sent an email out to my local homebrew club and then it was marked as sold out a few minutes later, lol. This strain is going quick!

I'm looking forward to trying a marzen / festbier style with OSLO. A quick turnaround malty 'lager' for the kegerator for the end of summer sounds amazing.

For those who brewed with OSLO already, are you doing full 2 week fermentations before kegging/bottling or are you doing something much shorter?

I was planning on brewing a marzen, pitching and holding at 85'F for 6 days then let it drop to ambient (~68-70'F) over the course of 6 more days. Not sure if i should even bother about the second 6 days and instead simply keg after the first week haha.

For those who brewed with OSLO already, are you doing full 2 week fermentations before kegging/bottling or are you doing something much shorter?

I was planning on brewing a marzen, pitching and holding at 85'F for 6 days then let it drop to ambient (~68-70'F) over the course of 6 more days. Not sure if i should even bother about the second 6 days and instead simply keg after the first week haha.
I think I went for 10 days. Could have bottled at 3, but school got in the way.

That extra week gave the yeast plenty of time to drop clear. It was done quick, but wasn't clear. I dunno, do what you're comfortable with. I think it will be hard to go wrong with this one.

Yep, I bottled mine 16 days after pitching. I mainly just wanted to let the yeast drop out so I could harvest it.

If you have any yeast you’d wanna trade I could culture up some for yah, got a fresh pack I. The fridge, send me a pm and we can work out a yeast swap or something!

That's really kind of you, the sort of thing that makes brewing and HBT so great. But the weather is getting warm to ship yeast, and I always have plenty of things on my "To Brew" list. I can wait.
Thank you!

That's really kind of you, the sort of thing that makes brewing and HBT so great. But the weather is getting warm to ship yeast, and I always have plenty of things on my "To Brew" list. I can wait.
Thank you!

FYI it can be shipped dry (as flakes, read up in the thread) and will probably do fine via mail.

I did a 1 week ferment (seemed close to done at 3 days @ 96 deg but I wanted to be safe), cold crash and force carb. I'm drinking it now just over a week later.

I fermented around 90F for 2 days and then dropped to 40F for 4 days before kegging.

Back