Bootleg Biology | MTF Funk Island Mega Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
Pre-ordered this the other day without much research beforehand: https://bootlegbiology.com/product/mtf-funk-island-mega-blend/

I've used their Mad Fermentationist Saison Blend, Funk Weapon 2, and Funk Weapon 3 and have been very happy with them, but wanted some opinions on this one.

From what I've read it's a collection of dregs from their annual Homebrew Con Milk The Funk Meet Up & Bottle Share, and am curious as to if anyone has used Baltifunk, Funkapolis, or Funklandia, which came out of bottleshares from the previous years?

Any recomendations on a base recipe for using this?

70% 2-row and 30% wheat is good.
Keep hops low if you want it sour: 0.4-0.8 oz per 5 gal of low AA hops.
RO water with maybe 40-60ppm chloride via CaCl2.
Yeast nutrient with zinc (e.g. Wyeast nutrient).

This will make something like a low-bitterness Lambic. You can toss in some oak cubes too, like 0.5oz per 5 gal.

Yeah I got a pouch as well, probably will brew up some really fermentable wort similar to what RPh posted above and toss it in and see what's what. Plan on keeping it around since it is so unique.

Yeah I got a pouch as well, probably will brew up some really fermentable wort similar to what RPh posted above and toss it in and see what's what. Plan on keeping it around since it is so unique.

Just curious as to how you plan on keeping it around? I also got a pouch and since it has basically every type of yeast in it not sure how to keep it around. I normally do overbuilt starters and collect the extra before pitching, and plan on doing that. Thought I would ask how others plan on keeping it around as well.

I keep mixed cultures in mason jars at room temp.
Every 3-6 months stir, dump 80-90%, and add fresh starter wort.

just snagged the last packet of this from my LHBS. anyone have any results with this yet? haven't done a sour yet, but looking to dive right in. how long should it ferment? any advice? thanks!!

Just bottled a batch tonight that was 80% 2 Row and 20% White Wheat. Cascade at 30 min for 20 or so IBUs. It's not carbed yet, but it's definitely juicy and funky. I get pineapple, citrus, and a bit of barnyard.

I saved the yeast cake and am going to put a NEIPA onto it tomorrow.

I'll post back on this first batch once they carb up.

Just bottled a batch tonight that was 80% 2 Row and 20% White Wheat. Cascade at 30 min for 20 or so IBUs. It's not carbed yet, but it's definitely juicy and funky. I get pineapple, citrus, and a bit of barnyard.

I saved the yeast cake and am going to put a NEIPA onto it tomorrow.

I'll post back on this first batch once they carb up.

this sounds super interesting. would love to hear how this goes/see some pictures. we pitched ours into a saison 2 months ago and the sample we took last weekend tasted lovely. trying to decide if we want to pull it out soon or let it ride through the winter.

I sampled my 1 gallon prop test last week, here are my tasting notes

Pitched 8/??/19 - entire packet into 1gal 1.040 / 4IBU / 5.40pH 60/40 wort mashed 156 x 60

9/27 - 1.004 / 3.83pH some tartness, slight barnyard funk and peppery phenols. Sample again in Dec.

12/9 - 1.002 / 3.40pH fruity, mousey aroma, some graininess (thp) but still pleasant and coming along. Topped up with similar wort to shoulder. Airlock activity after 3 hours. Check again in Feb.

I sampled my 1 gallon prop test last week, here are my tasting notes

Pitched 8/??/19 - entire packet into 1gal 1.040 / 4IBU / 5.40pH 60/40 wort mashed 156 x 60

9/27 - 1.004 / 3.83pH some tartness, slight barnyard funk and peppery phenols. Sample again in Dec.

12/9 - 1.002 / 3.40pH fruity, mousey aroma, some graininess (thp) but still pleasant and coming along. Topped up with similar wort to shoulder. Airlock activity after 3 hours. Check again in Feb.
yeah definitely got those notes after the month or 2 sample as well. kind of like where it is but we'll see!

Yeah, and I hope people don't read into the THP detection too much, those will go away for me sooner than later. Doesn't happen in primary that often for me, but it's not the first, and there may well be some nice fruity notes and esters underneath. I'm giving it a couple months before I sample again, and decide if I want to add slurry to any barrels.

My favorite thing about the blend so far is that the LAB has created a really nice acidity profile over time... four months to 3.4 with a few IBUs is about where I like it. I didn't pick up any acetic acid so I'm not worried oxygen fouled anything up, just a nice clean lactic. If there was ropiness or diacetyl it was already taken care of by the brett. If it doesn't breach 3.3pH in two months time (200mL of fresh wort may do that), I may use it as a co-pitch for extended souring along with some specific brett. I have a 10 IBU saison brew day coming up, so I may pitch some into that and see how the acidity turns out over time.

this is my first experiment bugs like this- if we like where its at, how do we keep it from going too far in the bottle? carb and fridge?

this is my first experiment bugs like this- if we like where its at, how do we keep it from going too far in the bottle? carb and fridge?
Add yeast from an "acid shock starter" when bottling.
Allow to carbonate.
If there are no off-flavors, just keep it cold.

Back