Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, when I used L. Plantarum and the fast souring Pedio they were also both down in the 3.6 range at that 18-20 hour range. I'm usually down to about 3.4 - 3.45 around 24, with the single time I used the Pedio that took to 36.

I'm sure it matters if you're maintaining certain temps for certain strains. I don't hold temp. I just heat the wort to 180 after I mash, cool down to 100, drain to fermenter, pitch the Lacto (or Pedio), and then stick it in my fermentation chamber, which is a chest freezer, but everything is turned off. It usually drops to about 85 or so over the time it sours.

Once it reaches 3.4 or so I kick in the fermentation chamber, and cool it down to 68 to pitch my Sacch.

Really though the pills are so cheap and effortless that I couldn't justify doing it any other way. It comes out to about 85 cents per 5 gallon batch.

That's compared to $8-12 for a package of the OYL-605 or $10 for the sour weapon.

"NEIPA-ish" is smelling amazing. Tons of hops yes but it smells way better than the LA3 portion.

Anyone use this in a dark beer yet?

Kegged the sour yesterday. Gravity didn't move from a week before it was still at 1.017, a little higher than I wanted it but still tasted good out of the fermenter. Burst carbing now, I'll post pictures tomorrow. Cant wait to drink this one.

wow that looks good.

My FW#2 IPA is bubbling away. I did not build up enough of a starter apparently, because it took a long time to get going. Lesson learned, next time I'll build up more.

wow that looks good.

My FW#2 IPA is bubbling away. I did not build up enough of a starter apparently, because it took a long time to get going. Lesson learned, next time I'll build up more.

How long did it take to take off? My first time using the yeast took three days, I'm sure you'll still be fine. This yeast is a main stay in my bank now!

It took 4-5 days to take off. Checked it last night and i'm down to 1.018. I'll give it another week, and probably drop in my dry hops mid next week before going to keg. Taste is pretty good even without the dry hop, though it does need time to finish cleaning up.

Hey guys. Been trying to find some info on funk weapon 3 as i just ordered that one but can only find info on funk weapon 2. Do you guys think a neipa grain bill will work just as well with funk weapon 3?

I think it will work just as good, might just have a little more funk than #2. Just make a starter at least 3 days ahead and ferment at higher than regular temps. Let us know how it comes out!

Here's the recipe I'm thinking of doing with the funk weapon 3....

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10.04 lb United Kingdom - Golden Promise 37 3 79.6%
2.58 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 20.4%
12.62 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.75 oz Warrior Pellet 16 First Wort 42.51
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Aroma 0 min
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Aroma 0 min
1 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Aroma 0 min
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Whirlpool at 160 °F 30 min 19.41
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Whirlpool at 160 °F 30 min 17.02
1 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Whirlpool at 160 °F 30 min 11.71
1.5 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 2 days into ferm
0.75 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 2 days into ferm
0.75 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Dry Hop 2 days into ferm
1.5 oz Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 10 days after pitch
0.75 oz Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Dry Hop 10 days after pitch
0.75 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Dry Hop 10 days after pitch

What's an easy way to make a starter without a flask and stir plate?

Just use a sanitized mason jar and cover the top with aluminum foil. Put it on a kitchen counter and give it a swirl every time you pass by it.

You can use a mason jar and shake it, or a smaller growler. I'm doing a NEIPA bill for one of mine as well. I'm probably going to do a lower OG then a typical IPA.
I have messaged Bootleg via Facebook, and he was very quick and helpful in his reply. I'd recommend sending him a message with questions about pitch rate, and how to approach the starter. Just tell him your OG and volume. Always nice get some insight from the source, and that is the great thing about ordering yeast from smaller operations.

Just kegged a saison fermented with 3724 and funk weapon #2. Still carbing, but initial results are goooood!

anybody have some of the FW2 they would be willing to ship? bootleg never seems to have #2 in stock, have asked to be notified, never happens. cant find a homebrew shop to sell and ship for less than $30. insane.

happy to cough up some dough. but not 30 bucks. thats crazy. shipping costs, little something for the effort, no problem. even trade for some other goodies. whatever works.

anybody have some of the FW2 they would be willing to ship? bootleg never seems to have #2 in stock, have asked to be notified, never happens. cant find a homebrew shop to sell and ship for less than $30. insane.

happy to cough up some dough. but not 30 bucks. thats crazy. shipping costs, little something for the effort, no problem. even trade for some other goodies. whatever works.

They typically do direct sales once a quarter, usually open for "presale" for a week or so and then they are shipped out later that month. I think they just did one recently so it will be mid summer (I believe it was late July last year) before the next round.

yeah, i asked about that, and thought they had put me on whatever list that is. no luck. didnt catch the prior release either, so ive been SOL for a while.

i managed to get it once over a year ago, worked great on a brut ipa, was going to use it on a hoppy wheat, then saw this thread-- hadnt thought of using it in neipa. but im too stubborn to drop 30 on a homebrew vial. just seems ridiculous.

so there it is. anybody who has some to share, name your price.

@SanPancho I got you. DM your address, shipping shouldn't be that bad. Maybe we could just trade some home brew or commercial brew and call it even.

Do you have a recipe for this you are willing to share. This is something my dad would love.

Simple recipe but it came out delicious.

90% - 2 row
10% - white wheat

No bittering hops.

3 OZ of belma for a 5 day dry hop.
6 OZ of Hibiscus for 2 day dry hop.

90% - 2 row
10% - white wheat

No bittering hops.

If you'd brew it again, anything else you'd do differently? Any boil hops? Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks delicious.

90% - 2 row
10% - white wheat

No bittering hops.

Thanks. Now the hard part on turning up some funk weapon. Any suggestions on a marketed substitute.

If you'd brew it again, anything else you'd do differently? Any boil hops? Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks delicious.

I've done a couple kettle sours and I don't change much other than different variants in hops. I stick with the big fruity, big aroma hops like citra, mosiac, galaxy for hoppy sours. I don't add bittering hops to any of my sours, most bacteria is very IBU sensitive. The hibiscus was good at 6 OZ, it also has a tart cranberry flavor that mixed well with the sour.

Thanks. Now the hard part on turning up some funk weapon. Any suggestions on a marketed substitute.

Where the funk should be a good substitute, not sure if its the same strain but the descriptions pretty much sound identical.

I've done a couple kettle sours and I don't change much other than different variants in hops. I stick with the big fruity, big aroma hops like citra, mosiac, galaxy for hoppy sours. I don't add bittering hops to any of my sours, most bacteria is very IBU sensitive. The hibiscus was good at 6 OZ, it also has a tart cranberry flavor that mixed well with the sour.
Oh geez, I read it wrong. I saw no bittering hops and my brain translated that as no hops during the boil. I'm slow today.

I'm gonna tag onto the end of this conversation to see if anyone else has some brett starter/Funk Weapon experience here.
I'm planning on doing a starter tomorrow (1.5L in 1.040) in order to brew this weekend so it'll have a few days to get going. I'd like to save off 0.5L for the future and pitch the remaining 1L for a 5 gallon batch.
I'm basically redoing a 100% Brett IPA recipe I did last year with Yeast Bay's Amalgamation. It turned out amazing so I figured the comparison might be interesting. As opposed to some of the earlier posters, I let mine sit for 3 months and it had a ton of farmy, typical brett aromas that I had previously thought were not common for 100% brett ferments. I liked it so I'll probably do the same.

Has anyone found the need to decant off anything from their starters? I've read about things going pretty sour after a few days on the stir plate. I was thinking of maybe just letting it run on low overnight or the first 24 hrs to provide oxygen but not overdo it.

Back