Boosting My ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzlystate

Reaction score
I want to boost my next batch of IPAs ABV. I know the best way to do this is by adding more malt extract. But how much malt do I add? Do I need more yeast cells since there are more fermentable? I am obviously still relatively new to this, so any tips help. Thanks guys.:rockin:

The easiest way is to find a recipe that produces the ABV you are looking for. More fermentables = more alcohol but you need to keep things balanced. Some extracts are more fermentable than others so SMALL sugar additions can sometimes help. IPA's tend toward dryness so a small amount of sugar is ok (5% or less of grain bill).

There are several ways to boost your abv, adding Malt extracts is one way, adding other sugars (corn sugar, white sugar, maple syrup, etc.) is another. As far as how much, I'd recommend buying beersmith or using a free online recipe builder and that will tell you how much. A rough estimate for DME is about 8 to 9 tenths of a percent per pound of light DME. Though I believe that changes as you get a higher ABV.

If you are using dry yeast it shouldn't be an issue.Liquid,make a starter.Use mr malty yeast calc.I like to add a pound or so of sugar mid fermentation to my ipas.After the first krausen starts to fall i boil about 2 cups of water with my sugar for about 5 min or so,then add to fermenter.After next krausen falls add another.It drys it out(as i like my ipas) and lets the hops shine.A pound of sugar is 9 gravity points if im not mistaken.

Back