Boosting gravity to 1.025 before going in a barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iandh

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Some other homebrewers and I are filling a 60 gallon pinot barrel with a flanders red. Primary fermentation was done with cali yeast in carboys and we're all going to contribute beer to the barrel.

We were shooting to mix everyone's beer in the barrel at a gravity of 1.025 to give the bugs something to work on, but the gravities range from 1.015 - 1.020.

What are people's thoughts about boosting the gravity to 1.025 in the barrel by adding some boiled water/LME? Is it even worth the effort?

Hi Folks,
Some other homebrewers and I are filling a 60 gallon pinot barrel with a flanders red. Primary fermentation was done with cali yeast in carboys and we're all going to contribute beer to the barrel.

We were shooting to mix everyone's beer in the barrel at a gravity of 1.025 to give the bugs something to work on, but the gravities range from 1.015 - 1.020.

What are people's thoughts about boosting the gravity to 1.025 in the barrel by adding some boiled water/LME? Is it even worth the effort?

BJCP has Flanders Red FG between 1.002 – 1.012, so I would think you are fine in that range.

I'd just leave it alone, that's plenty of food as is. unless you're killing off the sacch, that's whats just gunna eat the extract anyway

Latest posts

Back