Boost Bitterness with Hop Tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I've been browsing the forums a lot, and I noticed a few threads dealing with poor hop utilization in wort with a high starting gravity. I'm did a partial wort boil (boil gravity - 1.152) for an IPA and project my IBU's to be about 35. I'm a hop fiend, so I was going to dry hop when I racked to the secondary, but I want to boost bitterness, too. Hop tea sounds like it would do this, but I'm not entirely clear on everything I would need to do.

What mass of hops in what volume of water should I use to prepare the tea? I don't want to water down my beer, but I don't know how much water is needed to efficiently extract and isomerize the alpha acids.

Will it work with plain old distilled water, or do I need to adjust the pH or solute concentrations?

When should I add the tea? To the secondary, when I dry hop? To the bottling bucket?

I was thinking about picking up some chinook and citra for dry hopping. They have pretty high AA percentages, so they should go well in the tea?

The basic procedure is to boil 1/4 oz of a high AA hop in 2 quarts of water for an hour. This will boost your IBUs about 10. When you add it doesn't matter.

In the future, boil part of your bittering hops in your top-off water the day before.

Hmmm... what about iso-alpha acid extracts? I have heard of, but not found them.

Back