BOOM goes the fermentor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeere

Reaction score
Well it finally happened to me after 6 batches (3 all grain). I went down to the basement this morning to check the bucket and I see my thermometer laying outside the closet... my first thought was DAMN CAT. but as I entered the room and saw my lid off and green streaks on the wall I knew what was up. I was late and everything looked good enough so I sat the lid back ontop and ran off to work. I cleaned and resanized the lid and now I'm hoping I didn't infect the batch. I think it'll be ok since I'm still within the first 24hrs of fermentation and the krausen is high and thick.

I also need to get back to the basics... I missed my OG by about 15 points and had a 60% efficiency after an 80% and a 72%. I'm pretty sure poor stirring was the culprit. I didn't stir well at dough in, I didn't stir at all halfway through the mash, and stirred very little during sparging. That should get me back to where I need to be.

But what causes the krausen to rise so high? It's gotten to the top of my lid once before, but never a blow out. My OG was supposed to be 1.072 but I hit 1.055. I used white labs' irish ale yeast strain, and this is a holiday brew so I used spices (probably not the culprit). I had a very viable pint starter... but so did my last batch.

This batch gave me the most fits... poor efficiency, poor sanitation procedure in replacing a dirty lid that hit the dirty floor and probably insulation... but I have a good feeling about it for some dumb reason.

Not any warmer then before. It's 66 ambient in the basement at all times. I little on the warmer end, but not too crazy. This yeast is killing it down there though for some reason.

Blowoff tube or airlock?

If you used an airlock the debris from high krausen could have easily clogged it and forced the lid to blow from the CO2 buildup.

I had a similar situation when I used an airlock, blow off tube is the way to go for the first few days. Hope the mess isn't too bad.

Yeah i had an airlock that will now be used as a blowoff tube. The mess wasn't that bad really. I had a big piece of cardboard set up in front of it and the bucket sits in a corner. The room/closet is in my unfinished basement... so no worries really.

My only real concern is infection since I put a "dirty" lid back ontop of the bucket. But, I'm not super concerned about that since as I've read over this year... it's not easy to get an infection. Nothing dirty has entered my fermenting wort, just something hovering overhead.

Irish ale yeast kicks butt, and is probably why you blew the lid off. I used to use 1 and 1/16" ID blow off tube when I didn't have much head space for the batches using that yeast. 1/2 or 3/8 " would clog

wheat beers and their yeasts are monsters also

As far as contamination, I wouldn't worry about it. too much co2 coming out to infect the fermenting wort.

Edit: BTW when your basement is 66*F, when that 1084 takes off, it could jump the worts temp up over 70*F easily. this yeast is a fast fermenter, and works great at 68*F for dry stouts.

What were your mash temperatures? The only time I've had problems with a crazy fermentation like that was when I mashed at way too low of temperatures. Apparently this creates a lot more fermentable sugars leading to a very active fermentation and a very dry beer when its done.

Sorry all, no pics. there wasn't much of a mess really or else I would've. Only thing to note was some green streaks on a broom and on the concrete, and an airlock half full of krausen. If my floor joists were painted a nice green/brown pics would've been posted.

My mash temp was 154, dropping to 152ish. That was about the only good thing that happened. I replaced the lid last night and it's back to bubbling away calmly in my basement. I'm planning on washing this yeast and using it in a few months for an irish red... i'll note it's explosive ferment properties this time.

Not any warmer then before. It's 66 ambient in the basement at all times. I little on the warmer end, but not too crazy. This yeast is killing it down there though for some reason.

All it takes is a little.

If the ambient is a little warmer, the yeast reproduce a little faster, which means they produce a little more heat, which means they make it even warmer....

Its a feedback loop.

Back