Boom!!! Crime scene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgraber

Reaction score
Should have used a blow off tube. Woke up this morning to check on my Raspberry Wheat and walked into a crime scene. Spent about an hour wiping raspberry off my ceiling and walls.

I've got a blow off tube in place and have learned a valuable lesson. Fermentation is still going crazy on it. It's amazing, I've got a blond ale going at the same time and the fermentation profiles of the 2 couldn't be anymore different.

Not sure how the raspberry wheat will turn out. I got mixed reviews on the amount of raspberry to use and may have used too much. We'll see how it turns out. All I smell is raspberry in there.

So, if you have any doubt on whether to use a blow off tube you better use it unless you like cleaning.

Sorry guys, no pics. I wanted to clean it up before the wife came down and made a real crime scene. Dried raspberry beer is not easy to clean off the ceiling and walls.

I think I'll call it Shotgun Raspberry Wheat due to the spray pattern on the walls.

I always use blow off tubes... 1" ID

My first ever batch ended up all over the wall behind it (borrowed 5G glass carboy) , and on the wooden floor... bought bigger carboys, and made some blow off tubes, and never looked back...

Yes, I had an airlock on but this was using a 6.5 gallon Better Boy. I think if I would have used a regular fermenting bucket I probably would have been fine. Either way I have a blow off tube set up now and a valuable lesson.

If that's my biggest mistake out of my first two batches I'm completely fine with that.

I'm hoping this raspberry wheat turns out. I'm a little concerned that I used too much raspberry but we'll see.

Were you using an airlock?

I've had bungs shoot out and the lid blow off of both types of fermenters. I always use a blowoff for the first 5-7 days now and then switch to an airlock.

I just had my first blow out the other day. I wasn't really expecting it to blow because I have 7L of head space in my 30L fermenting barrel. Check out the picture here: http://beerandgarden.com/thar-she-blows/

I guess in addition to wheat bears, dark beers also kick up a big krausen.

Same thing happened to me today. I had a carboy of True Brew Porter blow today. All over two walls, the ceiling and my wife had two purses in the area that I will pay dearly for if I survive. That is some nasty crud to clean up.

This is also why i picked up a Free Fridge. Nothin better than a Bomb Chamber to keep the devestation contained. Although its magnified by being contained.

Latest posts

Back