Books on the Subject Matter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archmaker

Reaction score
I have read a lot on this website, and it has been a big help, but a search of the site, did not indicate what would be some good books.

I believe I have the 3rd edition of "How to Brew by Charlie P" but I am sure there are others out there.

For instance before I came to this forum I had not seen anything about a starter or a stir plate.

So beside the one listed above which books do your recommend?

Also is there a periodical/magazine that would be good to get.

It is not that I am opposed to technology (My job requires to be a computer security hacker, sometimes.) It is just there are times I like to reach over and grab a book or something to read without being chained to my computer all the time.

Thanks.

You'll see many referrals for Palmer's "How to Brew," and for good reason. It's an excellent book for beginners, and it lasts as a great resource as you advance. Personally, I find Papazian rather dated and a bit vague, and I don't point people that direction anymore.

To start with your own recipes, you ought to get Daniels's "Designing Great Beers." It's not about brewing, though, as much about how to design a recipe.

If you are interested in certain styles, the Classic Style Series is tough to beat.

If you really want to get into some nuts and bolts after you are more advanced, check out Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer." It's focused on lagers, but much of the information in there applies to anything you want to brew.

Jansen's "Brewchem 101" is good for getting into brewing chemistry. For most brewers, it's all the science they want to know. If you want to go further, though, start reading George Fix.

Bamforth's "Beer: Tap into the Art and Science of Brewing" is a fun and interesting read, but it's more about the culture of brewing than the process. Still, that context is important when approaching the craft.

Finally, I have to point to Mosher's "Radical Brewing." It's not just about pushing the envelope, but also about historical styles that haven't made it so well to the present. When you understand where beer has come from and see where it could go, it gives you some valuable perspective.

TL

I'm still a fan of Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, 3rd. Ed.. I learned from The New Complete Joy, which was the second edition, and I still haven't found a book I like as well. It got me from my first batches to intermediate brewing with very little other input aside from rec.crafts.brewing.

It's hard to go wrong with John Palmer's How To Brew (either the website or the dead-tree version) or Dave Miller's The Complete Handbook of Home Brewing, but Charlie's book is still the canonical beginner's book to me. Supplement whatever book you choose with board like this one, visits to your local homebrew club meetings, and seeing other brewers' processes, and you should get all you need.

There is also the "Classic Beer Style" series from brewers publications. Each book deals with a single style, it's history and making, with recipes.

Back