BOMM addition looking awesome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I had made 3 gallons of BOMM. Some to drink as is, & some to make different fruit additions to. This is 1/2 gallon with a 12 oz bag of mixed fruit, (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries). I'll be racking off of the fruit this weekend & probably onto another bag of fruit before I bottle & drink. Love the color on this!
20210617_064508.jpg

OP
Dan O

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks fantastic, Dan. Let us know how it turns out!
This is how it came out. FG 1.018. Residual sweetness from the honey & berry mix balanced perfectly with tartness from the berries. Racked onto another 12 oz. bag of fruit for 7 days. Now that I know about how much it will take to repeat this, it's time to make another 5 gallons of BOMM to make a bigger batch. I love this hobby!😁 EDIT.....I went back & checked my notes. FG is 1.018, not 1.014.
Rasp, blkberry, blueberry  & strawberry .jpg

Last edited:

Raptor99

Reaction score
Interesting. What is the advantage of racking it onto a second bag of fruit instead of just including more fruit in the first bag?

I assume that it is not stabilized yet, and continuing to ferment on the fruit.

OP
Dan O

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. What is the advantage of racking it onto a second bag of fruit instead of just including more fruit in the first bag?

I assume that it is not stabilized yet, and continuing to ferment on the fruit.
This is not stabilized, but, it was fermented to tolerance, as I do with all of my meads, meaning it was step fed until gravity readings didn't change.

The advantage is, where this was the first batch trying this berry mix & having a mix of 4 different berries that all have a lot of seeds & tannic values in them, I left it on the first bag to get the tart I was looking for, which was 2 weeks. The second bag was just for a little extra sweetness, (1 week), & to balance the tart & really bring that berry punch to the palette. I don't always get to taste daily, so, better to play it safe than sorry. Too much tart & I would wind up having to blend with another mead to achieve the flavor profile I was aiming for.
I hope this answers your question.
Happy meading 😎

JarlHammer

Reaction score
Sounds delicious, way to go! You gave me some great advice on my first mead, which I've now bottled, and I'm looking forward to starting a BOMM next myself.