Bomber vs 12oz bottle carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

streethassle157

Reaction score
A hoy hoy.

Yesterday I tried my 2 bottles of my first batch of beer, a nut brown. When we bottled our beer a few weeks ago, we bottled half of them in bombers and the other half in 12oz bottles. We tried one of each yesterday and it appeared that the 12oz bottle was significantly more carbonated than the bomber. Can this be attributed to the larger volume in the bomber needing more time to carbonate?

A hoy

llazy_llama

Reaction score
A hoy hoy.

Yesterday I tried my 2 bottles of my first batch of beer, a nut brown. When we bottled our beer a few weeks ago, we bottled half of them in bombers and the other half in 12oz bottles. We tried one of each yesterday and it appeared that the 12oz bottle was significantly more carbonated than the bomber. Can this be attributed to the larger volume in the bomber needing more time to carbonate?

A hoy
Bingo, and a hoy hoy to you too.

It's funny, actually. I've heard several people say that their bombers carb faster than their 12 oz bottles, but YMMV. Give it a bit of time, and the carbonation should even out, assuming you primed your whole batch. If you used carb tabs, or added priming sugar directly to the bottle, things might be a bit different based on the volume of beer and the amount used.