Boiling your water to reduce ion content, useful general info during stay at home orders.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I just reached out to a local pro brewer I know about some water treatment options I have when I dont want to run to the store to get RO water. My water is pretty good generally but I wanted to brew a Czech Pilsner this weekend and my tap water is currently at 40ppm Ca, 100ppm SO4, 30ppm Cl (very low hardness and TDS).

Anyways this pro brewer/former scientist said I can hold the water at elevated temperature overnight (what he does in his brewery) or just boil it for 15-20 minutes and let it settle overnight, and many of the ions will coalesce and settle out overnight "and you'll be left with golden pilsner water".

Any insight here on what amounts I can expect to drop out? i'd like to have a rough idea of what my boiled/decanted water profile will be so I can accurately calculate the amount of acid I need to add to hit my target pH. I'm sure a lot of us are going through similar issues who dont own their own RO systems so if anyone here has a better grasp of what formula one could use to calculate their individual boiled water profile it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,
Steve

Certain carbonates in highly alkaline water will precipitate with boiling, but I don't think it's going to help with your SO4.

Yes this is what the Brunwater is telling me. Oh well it will still be good beer, double decoction and good fermentation will have to carry the day!

Back