Boiling wort without burning my kitchen down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkoory

Reaction score
I figure I can’t be the first guy to have considered this problem, so I hope I can source some of your creative input.

I am on my way to converting to a 10 gallon AG system. The last two pieces of the system to be acquired are the burner and the cook pot. Up until now my stove top has provided a strong enough burner to handle 5 gallon batches, but I don't think it will have what it takes to boil 10+ gallons.

Of course the answer to this would be to purchase a larger, dedicated burner. But, here lies my problem. My only brew space is in my kitchen. I have as of yet to use a burner. However, from what I have seen they look like they will set my kitchen floor ablaze, which would significantly decrease the quality of my beer. So that's a no-go.

Any ideas on what I can place below a burner that is easily movable, and will prevent my house from burning down?

Ignoring the fact that using a propane burner indoors is likely against fire code in your area and the fact that it creates carbon monoxide that can kill you I would say a wooden board with tile put on it. Or a slab of granite/marble.

Sounds like you may want to start looking into electric setups.

Yes,

I have been looking at the Bayou SQ-14 as I have heard good things about it.

I guess that would be a parallel to the above question. Any advice or suggestions for picking a burner for 10 gal batches?

Well first read this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/carbon-monoxide-hazards-real-52676/

Next, that burner is portable. You can do all your mashing or what not inside on the stove and then haul the BK out to the backyard, side yard, garage, drive way, front porch, park down the road, etc, and boil your wort.

It is inconvenient but better than dying inside from CO poisoning. Trust me. You DO NOT want exposure to excessive CO in a confined space!!!

Yes, good call.

Not dying from CO would also be a good idea. Glad that I decide to source the wisdom of the crowd before I went down this road.

I would like a option that allows me to keep my brew process indoors. How well do electric systems work? This is the first that I have heard of this.

Heat stick sounds promising. Is this something one can purchase, or must it be built? I im not much of a tinkerer, and don't trust my self with electricity, especially once its placed in a pot of water.

I im not much of a tinkerer, and don't trust my self with electricity, especially once its placed in a pot of water.

I would steer clear of that idea then, unless you can get an electrician buddy to help you out. It isn't a complicated build, but you should have more than passing knowledge of Mr Sparky before taking it on.

Back