Boiling wort on wood surfaces..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
I just finished my rims system and I built wooden tables for it. Does anyone have any issues with burning wooden surfaces doing a boil? I was thinking about finishing it with polyurethane or possibly some kind of marine finish...Was thinking about maybe just putting aluminum foil on the top as well...

I haven't posted here for what seems like years...been busy with life and haven't had much time to brew. Looks like I may get some opportunities this winter.

Yes its electric...id like to finish the tables at some point. Not sure if polyurethane would melt at 220 or not?? considering a product called spar varnish.

First Google hit led with "Continuous use above 225°F is not recommended nor is urethane recommended in hot water over 175°F."
That's a bit tight - I'd be concerned about polyurethane softening significantly and possibly sticking to a boil kettle bottom.
Note that some "spar varnishes" have polyurethane in their ingredients as well, though tbh even for those that don't I'm not sure an oil-based resin coating would be less prone to sticking after an hour or more at near boiling temperature...

Cheers!

interesting.....I might just lay some aluminum foil down or try it on bare wood and see what happens..

You'd actually be fine with bare wood as far as messing up a kettle bottom.
The potential issue then is exposing the wood to wort ;)
A sheet metal top is a popular solution (though I've seen some killer tile jobs)...

Cheers!

I have considered tile...never thought about sheet metal as it would conduct heat but I suppose that could be an option....I was never concerned about the kettle bottom. I am more concerned about getting the wood hot.

Aside from potential warpage issues or color shifts I don't think wood exposed to 212°F in an open space is at much risk of anything dire. I've seen quite a few e-brew rigs with kettles on wood surfaces over the years and to date no notice of conflagration ;)

CHeers!

Back