Boiling top off water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer and i'm currently doing 5 gallon batches with a 3 gallon boil

My water source is from the city. I use a brita filter on my faucet to purify and remove chlorine

I've been taking my top off water straight from the tap into the carboy and haven't had a problem - my theory is that the chlorine kills anything in the water that i need to worry about

I've got a friend that insists that I need to boil the water before I use it

Who is right??

Do you HAVE to boil it? Nah

Just depends on how safe you want to be. Technically you could brew without even washing anything. Or you could get a big autoclave to sterilize everything that touches your beer.

All you HAVE to do is pick somewhere in between. If you're sure your filter is removing all the chlorine and you're fine with using the water as it is, then don't sweat it.

Your beers been coming out fine, hasn't it?

I was going to do this today just to see how it turned out but opted to use ro water like I've been doing so far.Maybe next time.

Back