Boiling temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
All the instructions i'm reading now are saying just boil the wort for 60 minutes with the bittering hops in there. I thought i read somewhere where you have to keep the wort at 150? I was just boiling the wort and for like 5 minutes it went up to 190. Am i still good? Should i keep it at 150? Bc i doesn't seem to boil when i had it at 150.

Boiling temp of H2O is 212 F. It cleary won't boil until it hits this temp. Always boil your wort with the bittiering hops in it for the full 60 min.

mullimat said:
All the instructions i'm reading now are saying just boil the wort for 60 minutes with the bittering hops in there. I thought i read somewhere where you have to keep the wort at 150? I was just boiling the wort and for like 5 minutes it went up to 190. Am i still good? Should i keep it at 150? Bc i doesn't seem to boil when i had it at 150.

Yeah, I am confused by this. Are you saying that your wort is boiling at 150 degrees? If it is boiling, it should be around 212 degrees (depending on how close you are to sea level, etc.). Regardless of whether it is 150 or 190, it won't be boiling unless you get it up to 212.

Well it's not boiling yet. But i thought i read somewhere where you want to keep the temp at 150. I guess if it doesn't boil until 212 then i don't need to worry about 150 lol.

mullimat said:
Well it's not boiling yet. But i thought i read somewhere where you want to keep the temp at 150. I guess if it doesn't boil until 212 then i don't need to worry about 150 lol.

Are you doing an extract recipe? Maybe you are confusing the instructions for the steeping grains?

You don't want to boil the water for the steeping grains, and keeping it around 150 for that is reasonable (at least to me, I am still a noob). You do want to boil it for the malt and the hops, though.

Oh ok. Yeah i'm making an extract recipe. But when i was steeping the grains i made sure to pull the grains just before boiling and the temp never got over 150. So hopefully i should still be good.

I don't know if you can't convey what your doing into something that makes sense or what..... At least I'm still confused by your posts...

Extract with steeping grains instructions:
1. Heat water to 150.
2. Add grains in bag for 30mins or so.
3. remove grains and bring to boil (212F)
4. add extract and bittering hops, boil for 1 hour

Now that is general directions.... obviusly there will be variations depending on recipe but that's basically it. :ban:

z987k said:
I don't know if you can't convey what your doing into something that makes sense or what..... At least I'm still confused by your posts...

Extract with steeping grains instructions:
1. Heat water to 150.
2. Add grains in bag for 30mins or so.
3. remove grains and bring to boil (212F)
4. add extract and bittering hops, boil for 1 hour

Now that is general directions.... obviusly there will be variations depending on recipe but that's basically it. :ban:

Yeah. I already finished brewing it and pretty much did those general steps (of course more detailed than that). Everything ended up turning out great. Thanks!

Back