Boiling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
hello, I did edworts hefe today which was a 5.5 gallon batch size. I have my stirring spoon notched at 5.5 gallons and I eyeballed my boil volume to 6 gallons to compensate for boil off. When the 60 minute boil was over i only had about 4.5 gallons of volume left. The only thing that i can think of was I was boiling too hot and boiled off too much. With this only being my second brew I was thinking boil boil boil and not thinking about boil temp. Now that I think of it, it seemed like I had 20 minutes worth of hot break but I was probaly just boiling too hot huh? Any info from the veterans would be helpful on how to not have this happen again. Thanks in advance.

I always boil off about 2 gallons in a 90 minute boil, so what you got sounds about right. Start with a higher volume next time.

As for the hot break, that is a bit long so you may be able to back off a bit, but different malts will give you different hot breaks. The more vigorous the boil the better hop utilization you get, so just make sure you keep it at a good rolling boil and it should be good.

thanks man, half a gallon just wasn't enough boil off compensation then. thanks for the reply, im sure that this beer is going to turn out great just a little less volume than anticipated, no biggie, i'll just order some more ingrediants and get another going. lol.

Brew strong on the brewing network just discussed melanoidin formation which involves your boil off % definitely worth a listen.

A good boil is 10 to 15% per hour.

I roughly boil off 1 gallon per hour :-D I think the crappy humidity levels have nothing to do with the lack of boil off... :cross: but this will make it fun when it comes time to having 8 gallons or so from mashing grains now.

Back