Boiling iso-alpha Acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

Just an Experiment :

I have 3 liters of Non-Alcoholic Beer . The specific Gravity is 1.019 .

I'm going to boil it in order to reduce the Volume to 1 liter and make it more concentrated and bring the Gravity up to 1.057 .

Now , I'd like to know what happens to iso-alpha Acids by boiling ?!

Hector

Presumably once the acids are isomerized they are stable for a long time under boiling conditions. The same would not be true for any hops essential oils that contribute hops flavor and aroma. Additional boiling would drive them off.

Heating fermented beer gives it a 'cooked' flavor which is why Pasteurization is best avoided if possible. If the low alcohol beer is made by fermenting and removing the alcohol or by fermenting with a strain that produces little alcohol it is likely that it will suffer from the same effects. If it just canned wort it probably wouldn't. A test with a small quantity in a saucepan seems prudent.

Presumably once the acids are isomerized they are stable for a long time under boiling conditions. The same would not be true for any hops essential oils that contribute hops flavor and aroma. Additional boiling would drive them off.
If it just canned wort it probably wouldn't. A test with a small quantity in a saucepan seems prudent.

Thanks for the Reply .

It's not fermented Beer . The manufacturer does the mashing , then the Wort will be boiled . Then it's filtered and diluted to 1.019 . Then Hops Extract and some acids are added and at the end it's force carbonated and bottled .

In fact , I did once a small test and boiled a small portion for 15 minutes . It tasted more bitter afterwards and there were also some cooked Corn after-taste .

I asked this question because this time I'm going to boil it for 60-90 minutes , due to the boiling rate of my Kettle ( 3 liters --> 1 liter ) .

Hector

...Then it's filtered and diluted to 1.019...

Why are they diluting it? Can't you get the wort before dilution, which saves all the trouble?

Instead of boiling, you could try freezing the diluted wort. The excess water freezes, leaving a stronger sugary wort in solution. You tap that off. Still would be easier to start with stronger wort in the first place.

Back