boiling hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
So...it seems a basic enough question..
For boil time..... does that start as soon as the wort begins to boil? Or as soon as I turn on the flame? I do all grain....and of course, after sparging, the wort is hot, but still takes a while to get to a boil. I've been just starting my "boil time" as soon as it reaches a boil....and commence with the hop schedule....

You got it. Boil time is boil time. Not to be confused with hammer time...

RickyLopez said:
So...it seems a basic enough question..
For boil time..... does that start as soon as the wort begins to boil? Or as soon as I turn on the flame? I do all grain....and of course, after sparging, the wort is hot, but still takes a while to get to a boil. I've been just starting my "boil time" as soon as it reaches a boil....and commence with the hop schedule....

The boil begins when your wort achieves a nice rolling boil.

Sorry to disagree with the above. Boil times, when discussing hop additions is based from when you ADD the 1st hop addition to a rolling boil. Literally this should be seconds apart but a minute or 2 is no difference. I often boil my wort down to a specific quantity, if I over shoot it, before adding my 1st hop addition.

:ban:

Sorry to disagree with the above. Boil times, when discussing hop additions is based from when you ADD the 1st hop addition to a rolling boil. Literally this should be seconds apart but a minute or 2 is no difference. I often boil my wort down to a specific quantity, if I over shoot it, before adding my 1st hop addition.

:ban:

That's an important distinction. I've done a 90 minute boil before but not added in the bittering hops until 30 minutes have gone by, making it a 60 minute boil as far as hop additions are concerned. But yeah, you start adding hops after the wort is already boiling, not before (unless you FWH, which is another discussion).

Back