Boiling hops longer than 60 minutes = lower IBU?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
Im just in the middle of my boil, and I can see that Im going to have about half a gallon too much beer. Ive already added my 60 minute hop addidtion. If I lengthen the boil to boil off that extra half gallon, will the IBU's suffer or increase? or just stay the same?

increase...the longer in the boil the more bittering compounds will enter the solution

You will see a slight increase in IBU due to higher utilization. If your beer is high-gravity or isn't very bitter, it might be so little you can't taste the difference.

The increase in hop utilization falls off pretty drastically after 60 minutes or so.

You might see a tiny IBU increase, but since hop utilization pretty much maxes out at 60 min, you probably won't notice it. If you'd added any of the other additions and boiled them longer, then the IBU would increase substantially.

Im just in the middle of my boil, and I can see that Im going to have about half a gallon too much beer.QUOTE]

How can you have too much beer?

Kidding a little. You'll get a bigger increase in IBU's with a longer boil, but it would be diluted with more wort if you leave it as is. So if you allow a half gallon extra wort your IBU's will drop unless you boil off enough wort to compensate for it.

Most utilization is done by 45 minutes but it will increase by 60 with very little utilization occurring after that.
hop_utilization1.jpg

Back